THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Left Hand Mauser -35 whelen

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Hand Mauser -35 whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted
I have posted some pictures of this rifle before but they do not do it justice. I had a chance to take better ones this morning while at the range. The natural light helped a lot. It shows the grain & color of the Turkish walnut better.

This rifle started off as a Charles Daly LEFT HAND Smiler action. I had a buddy of mine put on the Douglas barrel cut to 23" & chamber it for 35 Whelen. I then sent it to Gentry for one of his left hand 3 position safeties. I wrapped it all up along with a great chunk of Turkish walnut that I bought here from Ray Atkinson and took the works to Gary Stiles a gunmaker who loves working on mausers.

Gary Put on a new bolt with a nicer angle then the original. It also has 3 checkered panels. He got rid of the push button magazine release & made a new, in the trigger release that is much cleaner in appearance than the original. He smoothed up the action & made it feed perfectly. I now know what CRF is supposed to feed like. None of my Winchesters feed this way, they all push the cartridge along for 1/2" before it snaps behind the claw. My mauser goes from the magazine to the claw....no free wheeling at all. Gary added Talley quick release rings & I have a Talley peep sight to use as back up should a scope go bad on a hunt. I also had him install a NECG Banded front sight. For blueing I went with a matte finish.

Garys stock work is truly a work of art. The stock is classic & trim. Checking is 24 LPI in a Fler de Le (sp?) pattern. The inletting looks like it was done with a laser.

I have shot this rifle at the range with some extra boxes of factory ammo I had around. I will be working up some hand loads this spring. It has to be ready for elk season this fall! I will be using 250 grain Nosler Partitions.

The Left Hand Daly action worked better than I could have imagined for a custom. I have another action with Gary now that will eventually be my "mountain rifle". But that rifle is a ways off. For now....I will have to enjoy the whelen.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle! Makes me envious to have my Whelen finished soon.
I never much cared for those CD actions but yours looks pretty sweet.
What bullets are you shooting? Rate of twist?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I have to say that I was pleased with the actions that I got from Charles Daly I bought (2) several years ago when I read that Remington was buying the distribution rights & would not offer left hand guns. I LOVE teh fact that they are ALL STEEL. No plastic or flimsy type followers. And with the changes I had made.....they clean up well Smiler

I have the 1:12 twist. In the pictures I was shooting my last box of factory Remington Round Nose 250s. They have not made them in years now. I will be shooting 99% handloads. Mostly 250 grain versions. But I do plan of trying some of the 275s & 300s that I have seen available in 358.

It is a great shooting gun with the factory loads. I can't wait to see what handloads can do!!!

The 35 Whelen has long been my favorite hunting round. I also own a Remington 7600 in the same caliber. That one has accounted for PILES of game. I shoot mostly 250 grain round nose bullets from that one.

I am sure you will grow to love yours as well when it is done. Best of luck with it Cool

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun.

I wish that I had been smart enough to buy a couple of the left handed Daly actions before they lost the import rights.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Another great example of Gary's work. His stock design is trim and classic. The long grip feels great in the hand. Beautiful rifle!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote