Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

581 lh remington
 Login/Join

posted
Just a thought does anybody have a custom 581 or know somebody that does any work on rem rimfires. I have a 581Lh and I was wondering about maybe a heavy barrel and a better stock just dreaming a bit. Thanks Rick (grampyg)

Posts: 10 | Location: Coast of Maine | Registered: 13 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own 3 581's one of them being a leftie. On the leftie I changed out the main spring in the trigger for a lighter one and reduced the trigger pull to a crisp 3 pounds. Glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel. Rifle will shoot 5 shot groups under 1/2 inch at 50 yards day in day out.
581's are starting to enjoy collector status. If your heart is set on changing out the barrel any good gunsmith can help you.
How does your rifle shoot?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
snowolfe Mine shoots ok haven't really played with enough to know how well it really shoots. I don't really know if it's a good idea to modify the barrel maybe it's just a pipe dream I do have a 93 savage lefty in 17hmr with a heavy barrel with sss trigger. I just wish rem would make another lefty rimfire.

Posts: 10 | Location: Coast of Maine | Registered: 13 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave $125 for mine about 11 yrs ago. Mine shoots the Wolf Match Target real well. Here's one for $475:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976811675.htm

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try checking on the rimfire forum at benchrest central. Butch Hongisto has a pretty good reputation as well as many others. Some have a much longer backlog than others. Been thinking about doing a heavy barrel and benchrest stock to my LH 581.

-Rick

Unbiased AR-15 / BAT / Barnard / Borden / Marsh / Kelbly's / Remington / Ruger/ Ultra Light Arms / Savage owner. I like 'em all.

Posts: 57 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 26 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a thought does anybody have a custom 581 or know somebody that does any work on rem rimfires. I have a 581Lh and I was wondering about maybe a heavy barrel and a better stock just dreaming a bit.

Rem. 580 series rifles are VERY easy to rebarrel ect... Many years ago when these rifles were available, i bought several of the rifles and switched the parts around to make several LH 22's the way "I" wanted them.

I still have (2) LH 541's, (one seen below in a std. walnut stock) a couple 581 LH heavy bbl models, and even a LH 592 5mm Rem. mag...

I'm sure glad i kept a few of them around and some extra parts too, as they are getting pretty hard to get these days!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote