New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left hand MRC custom 7x57
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here is the rifle just completed and not yet delivered. It is a MRC short action Left Hand in 7x57, English Walnut,Krieger barrel.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very pretty gun, Jim. I like the slim line of the forearm a lot.

Does the owner like big scopes?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Jim - Did you do the stockwork? It's really a work of art.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
very nice rifle....

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. It looks like the bolt handle has be changed. Larger knob and at a different angle.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Very nice looking rifle - my compliments to you & your gunsmith.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am the gunsmith! The scope was one I had laying around to make it look good; the owner will provide his choice of scope. The bolt handle is an add-on, five panel checkered by Jerome Glimm and welded on by me.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Very nice as usual.

I too noticed the bolt alteration, very nice, especially seeing as I have a MRC that I would like to change the bolt handle on.

Question - did you replace the entire handle, as one might do on a mauser, or did you just replace the end of the bolt with a new knob?

Maybe we can take this up off line as I would like to find out more about this.

Thanks,

Bob

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
Jim,

Very nice looking rifle - my compliments to you & your gunsmith.

OUCH! "Who fired that shot!" Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys I'm across the pond and pardon my ignorance for not knowing who Jim is! You never stop learning & now I know.

Anway - Jim's pleased with his efforts, we are all obviously in agreement, so I'm sure the customer will also be very happy.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim

I like the widow's peak on the fore end tip.

Pete Grisel showed me a method for fitting those that I really like.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Jim, the more I look at that gun, the more I like it. I could see carrying that all day as a stalking type gun, maybe in 257 Roberts.

That 7x57 length cartridge is perfect for that MRC short action (I have a 6.5x284 built on mine)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
Jim

I like the widow's peak on the fore end tip.

Pete Grisel showed me a method for fitting those that I really like.

Might be the same thing I use. I thought that it was original. I bought a "reverse" (forgot the name of it) router cutter from the Woodworker's store and use an end mill on the Ebony cutting from both sides to the middle.

I have another barreled action in 243 that will be next, same action, LH

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
REAL nice looking rifle. How heavy is it? I have been thinking about the same combo but have read that the Montana actions are on heavy side.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iron Buck:
REAL nice looking rifle. How heavy is it? I have been thinking about the same combo but have read that the Montana actions are on heavy side.

I did some judicious metal removal from the action; thinned the recoil lug, reshaped the rear tang, etc. Got the finished weight down to just under 7lbs.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did some judicious metal removal from the action; thinned the recoil lug, reshaped the rear tang, etc. Got the finished weight down to just under 7lbs.

Mr Kobe

Very nice indeed. I wonder if you have a picture of your rear tang treatment? I agree this is a "bulky" area, and have considered reshaping like the prewar 70's. I am curious to see what you did and how it fits with this nice slim rifle.

Thanks if you have that

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few pics of the rear tang recontoured

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect!!! Thanks.

Very symetric and the proportions are much more approtriate than the original. You clearly have an artistic eye.

The photo doesn't focus on the checkering, but from what I can see, those diamond tops are also in line. Especially nice with the "over the top" pattern. Very good work

Roger

Thanks

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote