New
Find
Notify
Tools

New M70 on the way
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just ordered a barrel for my first build.

It will be on a LH M70 w/ factory wood stock.

Chambering will be 338/06 in a 1-10 twist 24" SS barrel.

I'm thinking I'll do the bedding and floating so there's a prayer of having it ready for spring bear. ( The smith is pretty busy. )

Now to find one more of these M70s for my smallbore, 6/06 or 25/06.....................

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Yep the best bet is to get a firm estimate on turn time and then triple it. Smith's work in their own timezone

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath....... Smiler

CSSA
CPC

posted Hide Post
A .338-06 sounds nice. Are you planning on using 250gr. bullets?

I used to be a real fan of the .25-06; then I looked at the .270's ballistics.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS,

I plan on trying the TSX 210 first. If it shoots well that is where I'll stop. Might try heavier bullets if I ever get drawn for grizzly. The TSX 210 should do for elk and blackies, me thinks. Smiler

As for the 25-06 thing, I mostly shoot 75 V-maxs out of the one I've got now. I like how the 25 does with the lighter stuff.

CSSA
CPC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wrongside:
Just ordered a barrel for my first build.

It will be on a LH M70 w/ factory wood stock.

Chambering will be 338/06 in a 1-10 twist 24" SS barrel.

I'm thinking I'll do the bedding and floating so there's a prayer of having it ready for spring bear. ( The smith is pretty busy. )

Now to find one more of these M70s for my smallbore, 6/06 or 25/06.....................

That should be a great caliber. Best of luck with the project.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
army aviator,

Thanks. I can hardly wait. This is my first 'custom'. Us lefties pretty much have to build if our tastes are even slightly off the beaten path. The .338-06 has been calling my name for a while now. From my reading it is a well balanced cartridge that should do all I need on the bigger game.......

CSSA
CPC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wished I would of did the 338/06 instead of my 338 WM. Great choice!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny you mention that, Snowwolfe. The shop I purchased the donor rifle at had a couple of .338 WM left. Could have saved myself alot of money, but like I mentioned the .338/06 has been calling me for awhile now. Not to bright, but happy. Smiler

CSSA
CPC

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have the 338/06's big brother--375 Whelen AI and I know what it can do so I'm certain you are really going to enjoy your new rifle. To bad you're in Canada 'cause I could guarantee you'd have it for Spring Bear. Good luck!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toomany,

That border does complicate things for us gun types......... I've got a real good smith and so will happily wait.

Take care.

CSSA
CPC

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny you mention that, Snowwolfe. The shop I purchased the donor rifle at had a couple of .338 WM left. Could have saved myself alot of money, but like I mentioned the .338/06 has been calling me for awhile now. Not to bright, but happy. Smiler

Hell, 338-06, 338 Winnie, whatever. Finding an M70 in left hand is a pretty good "get" no matter what the caliber! Smiler

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
quote:

Hell, 338-06, 338 Winnie, whatever. Finding an M70 in left hand is a pretty good "get" no matter what the caliber! Smiler

That's kind of my feeling also, Clayman. I am currently searching for another standard bolt face LH M70 for another project, so, time will tell just how good of a 'get' the first one was Smiler........

CSSA
CPC