THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Light(er) left hand rifles

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light(er) left hand rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am considering a lighter weight lefty and am trying to check out what my options are. If money was no object, I would be looking at something like an ULA, but I do not have 3k to blow. What are some makes and models of some lighter LH rifles?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at a Weatherby Ultralight Accumark. I've seen some on gunbroker in 300 weatherby and 257 weatherby going for about $1500.

I bought a standard Accumark in 257 and it shoots well. It's a large and heavy gun though and I wouldn't want to carry it around for any length of time. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the ultralight model to have some more versatility.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
The most cost effictive method will be to take a Remington action and have a new feather weight barrel put on it. Then have a synthetic stock made to fit. This method will get you a LW rifle for less than $2000.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Light, but not the lightest - Tikka T3 SS
7.25 lbs with Talley Lightweight rings and Leupold 3.5x10.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to Rich at High Tech Customs, he put a fine 6.5-284 togather for me, it will shot sub 1/2 moa all day and is propably 7- 7.5 lb scoped.

posted Hide Post
You haven't defined 'lighter weight', but see if you can find an old Rem. 700FS; they came with a lightweight Brown Precision stock. Mine shoots sub-MOA groups.

Winchester made a few LH Featherweight rifles in the WSM chamberings. A 'net search should turn up a couple.

Another option is a Browning A-Bolt, however, I had one and did not like it (for a lot of reasons).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hackelbackmor-
Among the lightest left hand actions readily available are the Remington, Tikka, Savage and Browning. For the exotics, Blaser or Sauer Lightweight, or perhaps the Mauser 3000. The heaviest include Weatherby, Sako, Winchester, MRC and Ruger, not necessarily in that order. For an off the shelf full on lightweight rifle, probably Tikka or Savage or Remington Mountain guns. If you're going to build something, then your options are defined more by your pocketbook than initial action/rifle weight.
I had a LH Winchester Featherweight in 300 WSM. It weighed 8lbs even with Leupold 6x scope.
I guess it all boils down to what your definition is of "lightweight". For some, nothing over 6lbs would qualify. For me and my pocketbook, I shoot for 7lbs scoped with 7 1/2
lbs scoped, my absolute limit for a lightweight.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 110CL which was built on a long action but originally chambered in 243 that has a 2 little Redfield 2-7 scope in two piece bases that goes less than 7.5 Lbs with an MPI fiberglass stock.

The new short action 11FL Savage weighs 6.5 Lbs out of the box.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the tikka t3 is a great buy at for what you get,i have one in 270win 6 3/8lb has a great trigger and shoots under 3/4in groups.

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several good ideas and comments. I left my initial request open as to see what kind of comments I would get. Currently, my go to rifle is a stainless A-bolt on 30-06. Many here would bash the A-bolt since it is not CRF and the like,but it has yet to let me down. I also have a Tikka WTH in 22-250, but I do not consider it a big game rifle per se.
As we south paws know, options are a bit limited. I also have a LH Mauser 3000 in 7mm rem mag that has yet been on a hunt. I think an "economy sheep gun" is what i was trying to get at this this thread.
Keep the comments comming. thanks!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a LH SA Rem 700 in 308. Then found aRem 700 TI Take off barrel in 7-08 22". Used
IT&D Gunsmiths in Ohio to barrel & rechamber to 284 Win. I had a RH MPI stock that I converted to LH & Repainted. With Talleys and a 6 X 36
Leupold around 6.5#. Not a lot of money and will be my LW Sheep rifle.

kk alaska

posted Hide Post
If you want a lighter rifle, take a short-action Saktikremchestervage in chambered in .270WSM, put it in a Brown Precision "Pound'r" stock, and turn the barrel down (to a safe OD). Put a fixed 6x on it with Gentry rings and bases, and go hunting.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my $0.02 worth.....I've hefted the Tikka, and Browning and they appaear to me to be lighter than many of the other standard factory offerings.

As for the "Exotics" - Blaser K-95 Stutzen in 7x57R, with 1.5-4.5x24 scope, leather sling, and a round in the chamber = 3.1 Kg. or 6.83 lb.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Tikka T3 SS 270 WSM w/24" barrel, 3.5x10x40 Leupold and Talley LW rings weighs 7 lbs 5 oz.

My wifes Browning Stainless Stalker (stock cut ~ 3/4")w/22" barrel, 3x9 Leupold LW and Leupold std rings weighs 7 lbs 9.5 oz.

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
My T3 is 6lbs 11oz. with scope, it is a pleasure to carry and it is a shooter. I most likely will not use the Ruger much any more,Just too heavy, both are 300Win

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elkman, how did you get the weight down? The rifle itself is around 6lbs-6oz.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tikka's are mentioned several times as being light(er) and having good accuracy. I do own one, a WTH in 22-250 and the only thing I do not like about it is the plastic parts such as the magazine. I know, that the "space age polymer" does keep the weight down, but plastic + cold = broken for me. Has anyone had problems with any of the Tikka (either the WTH or the T3)parts breaking under real hunting conditions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a T3 lite, and I have never had any problems with the magasines in the Danish winter. The magazines do look pretty fragile but IMO they can take their sahre of abuse.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (Attributed to George Orwell).

Posts: 72 | Location: Aalborg Denmark (sometimes Mexico) | Registered: 12 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is considered a LW rifle ?. Under 7 lb. ? or anything that doesn't require another body to lug it around ?. Seriously what is considered light weight for a hunting rifle ?. I always figured anything under 8 lb. scoped was light enough .

Try lugging an M60 or 50 Cal sniper rifle around for a few months , then everything else is light weight .

Thank You for all those rough bruisers who stand ready to do violence on my behalf !. I did violence on their parents behalf so they might be born free .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I have (3) rifles I consider lightweight and they range from 6 lbs. 10 oz. to 7 lbs. 2 oz. scoped. They're all a pleasure to carry and very accurate.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote