THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Re-barrel project underway

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-barrel project underway
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted
Guys I'm starting my first re-barrel project and I'm really pumped about it. I've been wanting a .260 Remington but could not find one that was left handed. So, I found a Browning A-Bolt II Micro in .308 that I'm going to ship to my gunsmith. He'll put a hart barrel on it and I'll add a little length by way of a kick eze pad (only for length). Warne bases are on the way and Leupold is installing a German #4 reticle in my 2.5-8x36 VXIII.
I think the package will be really handsome and should be a perfect Oklahoma whitetail rifle. I'll post some photos as soon as I can find out how. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the A-Bolt one of the most under rated actions of late. Slip one of these into a light weight LH Lone Wolf Riflestock of the correct length and you'll hate yourself forever more. It becomes the "go to," rifle and you really won't need another in the lower forty eight. I reworked a LH A-Bolt in .270 Winchester a few years back and have found it to be as close to the all around American rifle as one could desire. Easy to hump up the steep stuff yet shoots with amazing accuracy for such a light barrel. If I do my part, there's meat in the freezer. Elk, caribou, big horn sheep, mule and white tail deer have been taken with it. I've even used it against prairie dogs! What's not to like?
There have been reports of problems associated with removing the original barrel so, you may want to inquire if the GS has worked this combination before.
Good luck and enjoy the results!

Posts: 38 | Location: Front Range | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Tom, thanks for the lead on lone wolf stocks. I will check into them. I had also heard there might be some issues on the barrel buy my smith shoots an A-Bolt and doesn't seem concerned.
George, thanks much for the photo posting tips. I'll get some taken this weekend and will keep everyone posted.

One of Us
Picture of urbaneruralite
posted Hide Post
I put together a very similar rifle for a similar purpose. I think you will be pleased.

Posts: 57 | Location: SE, US | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
If you used an A-Bolt, did you have any difficulties with barrel removal?

One of Us
Picture of urbaneruralite
posted Hide Post
My rifle started as a Savage 16FLHSS .243. Swapping barrels took about fifteen minutes.

Posts: 57 | Location: SE, US | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I hope the Browning is as easy. My gunsmith doesn't seem worried about it. Yet.