Find
Notify
Tools

my first rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted
I'm turning 21 pretty soon and i'm trying to get the ball rolling with regards to my first rifle. Is the big difference in availability and price of left handed rifles compared to right handed ones? I am looking for a bolt action .308 or 7x57. So far I have only been able to find them in right handed models. I can shoot both ways but for quick reloading and comfort i'd prefer a lefty. Should i keep looking or should I settle with a lever action (also hard to find) or righty.. oh and by the way I live in South Africa.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
Left handed rifles are not hard to find, but they are quite a bit more scarce than the right handed models. I can't speak for South Africa but in the US a 308 would be much easier to locate than a 7x57. 30-06 length actions are by far the most common here. Savage and Ruger seem to be the most readily available lefties here. All that being said my favorite hunting rifle is a Browning BLR in 308.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lefty in 7x57 is rare, I had been looking for one myself, but settled on a 7mm-08 which is a ballistic twin.
Remington makes this in a lefty as well as Savage.
http://www.remington.com/produ...ct-synthetic-lh.aspx

I have a Savage 11FL.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger also offers the 708 now. In lieu of a 7x57...

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tikka has the 308 and 7mm-08 in the T3. Awesome trigger and guaranteed to shoot good right out of the box

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I lived in South Africa and had a 21 year old son, I'd buy him a left hand Ruger Model 77 in 30/06. Then if he later wanted a larger bore rifle, I'd suggest the same rifle in .375 Ruger. If I had known when I was 21 what I know now, I'd have stuck with the .30/06 and saved a lot of money and time fooling around with other calibers. You can load bullets from 110 grains to probably 250 grains with the .30/06. You can load the .375 Ruger from 235 grains through 300 grains and more and fill the large game end of the hunting spectrum. Add a .22 centerfire just for fun and you have a world-class hunting battery.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
what he said 30-06 plus a 375 and a 22RF for fun

One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted Hide Post
thanks for the advice. Gonna head on over to the gun shop and poke around a bit..

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote