THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    LH Weatherby MkV in 300 Weatherby

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LH Weatherby MkV in 300 Weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Saw one of these on the used gun rack at Gander Mtn. here in Indy... it carries a Weatherby 3x9x40 scope. Could check out the bore but everything else looked 90%-ish. It had Southgate, CA stamped on the side. Is that likely whewre it was made? After Germany and before Japan? Don't know my Weatherby history. they're asking $800.00 and I'm real tempted.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Posts: 203 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Southgate is where they were headquartered until they moved to Atascadero in 1994 (after their storefront was attacked during the 'Rodney King' riots). They moved to Paso Robles in 2006.

You'd need to look at it more closely to determine if it was made here (by Saco beginning in 1994), in Japan (by Howa 1971-1994), Germany (by Sauer 1959-1971), or even assembled in South Gate on actions by Mathieu, FN, and others (1958).

I'd say $800 is too much unless it is a Sauer-built rifle.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks George... that's a tremendous help. Will take a closer look at it when I get a chance.

Posts: 203 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You're welcome, and good luck.

George
P.S. Mathieu actions are also desirable in that they were and are uncommon.

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Know of a left-hand Mathieu action in the white going for over $1,000.

It was a magnum length, never barreled, and in the box.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mathieu action-
That action is advertised as a stainless steel unit. I have a Mathieu and it is not stainless. To my knowledge, Mathieu actions were carbon steel. Proceed with caution.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A push-feed action for $1000? No thanks.

George

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
A push-feed action for $1000? No thanks.

George

George, your hunting prejudice is showing. Look at all the guys who buy Stolle, Stiller, Lawson, Bat, etc. actions, they're all pushfeeds.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Big Grin but Frank, those are benchrest-quality actions, not typical hunting actions.

The Mathieu was hardly a BR action; it was just a standard action, no better or worse than the Remington 721.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But they were Left Hand and the Remmie 721 sure wasn't!

If that weatherby is on a Mathieu I'd buy it in a heart beat at 800$. 1000$ for action only, well I don't know, new doesn't mean much to me.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
But they were Left Hand and the Remmie 721 sure wasn't!

Agreed, but Mathieu also made RH actions, if I remember correctly.

quote:
If that weatherby is on a Mathieu I'd buy it in a heart beat at 800$. 1000$ for action only, well I don't know, new doesn't mean much to me.

I agree on both counts. thumb

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mathieu action I am referring to sold.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote