Find
Notify
Tools

Lefty CZ Big Bores?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
Does anyone have any updates on this rifle? I know the first few were sold and reviewed by a couple members of this forum (and they were reviewed pretty well, IIRC), but I haven't heard anything about them since. Does CZ have plans to build any more or make them a regular stock item or what?

It really is the best BB platform leftys have available today, IMO. Great features, pretty little price.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
pretty little price.

Is $1900 pretty?
I'd sure like to have one, but a $1900 doner price tag is a little steep (by about 1000 bucks), I'd rather pay the extra & get a GMA

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmfic1:

Is $1900 pretty?
I'd sure like to have one, but a $1900 doner price tag is a little steep (by about 1000 bucks), I'd rather pay the extra & get a GMA

Wow, I thought they were more like $1400 or $1500. That IS a bit steep. Why the heck are they so expensive? The RH version of that rifle is like $900!

How much more would one be looking at for a Granite Mountain? It that the action or a full rifle?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clayman,

i have one of the LH cz rifles. I did not pay that kind of money for it. i can say that it is a good base to build off of for a rifle project. that is my intention.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any ideas where you can purchase one and for how much?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd try cz snowwolfe. they have told me (cz) that their next step will be a 416 or 458 class LH 550 followed by a 30 caliber class rifle.

Any luck seeing 473 boltface M70s up your way?

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Any ideas where you can purchase one and for how much?

Try Wayne at American Hunting Rifles. He posts on AR as Bitteroot.

I bought my left hand CZ from him for around $1500. I kept it in 375 with upgrades, so while expensive compared to a right hand it was not out of reach.

If I was building a full custom I would consider the GMA action.

You still have MRC, Wayne is working on a 500 Jeffery MRC that could be an interesting true, affordable big bore for left handers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Owned a couple of MRC 458 lefty Lotts and they were nice rifles. Stainless in McMillan stocks. Been giving the CZ some thought as my "gun fund" just received an infusion of cash. But I can't see myself spending more than $1,500. even that is a stretch but if it has nice iron sights it may be worth it.
Thanks for the tips. Will send Bitterroot a PM.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jsl3170:
i have one of the LH cz rifles. I did not pay that kind of money for it.QUOTE]

Would you mind sharing what you paid?

I dont think Wayne has any left.

I have 3 SS MRC's, a 358 Norma, 375 H+H & a 458 Lott, I also have another one with the RUM bolt face I hope to do into a 404J soon. I havent hunted either of my 3 yet, but the 1st 2 have over 400 rounds each through & am working on "seasoning" the Lott.
MRC's need a little work (but are priced accordingly), they suit me fine so far.

Mike, I was talking to Wayne the other night for close to an hour, hes not doing that lefty in 500J no more, hes gonna do it in his own 500 AHR.....and I think its for sale!!
Hes also got his mits on a MRC Pro and hes doing a 600 OK for a board member.....cant wait to see it.

Rod

"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rod, Did Wayne say why he stopped with the lefty 500J.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
I dont think he did, if someone wanted it, I dont think its too late to change.

Rod

Bob Hagel

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
That's good information, fellas. I'm really looking for either a turnkey or slightly-modified solution to get myself a LH 416 Remington or maybe a 458 Lott. The CZ kind of fits the bill, as it can be easily re barreled to either of those calibers without much else. I'd rather get a semi-basic rifle and spend the rest on hunting than have a fancy safe queen with nowhere to go.

Of course, if jsl3170's report holds true, I may just be able to buy one off the shelf. I really do think it's a great platform with a ton of potential if one is not totally satisfied with stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can ordered a SS 375 or 416 barreled action from MRC for about $1,100 + - a few. Add a McMillan stock and you are good to go. Owned 5 rifles built on MRC actions so far and no complaints with any of them. And I had nothing done to any of them except one was delivered with the incorrect bolt stop which MRC then replaced.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Clayman,

This is my Lott I had posted this in the big bore forum a couple of days ago.

For the first time I shot my MRC Lott today. It is a MRC SS barrelled action on a McMillan stock built on a Supergrade pattern. the barrel is 23" long. Front sight has a 3/32 white bead. The scope is a 1.5 by 5 VXIII with Leupold quick release rings.

AHR bedded the action, installed the sights and barrel band, GunKoted the steel, made certain it properly feed, etc.

I shot it with 500 grain Swifts with 80 grains of Varget in new Hornady brass. Velocity with that combination is 2224 FPS. No signs of pressure. I was looking for 2200 FPS and easily exceeded it on the first try.

Accuracy was good, but was only able to shoot a couple of shots, in all my excitement I forgot to tighten and loctite the ring screws. Iron sights needed slight adjustment.

All in all I am very happy with the rifle.

One other note, recoil was suprisingly mild. Standing it felt similar to my 470 even though it is lighter (Lott weighs in at 9.8 pounds with scope and 3 down in the mag) and shooting about 120 FPS faster with the same weight bullet.

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Very nice Mike
My favorite combo of Swirly.

Pretty close to the same make up of my Lefty Lott, without the stock.

Rod

Bob Hagel

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Mike,

That's a great-looking combo! Might I pry as to how much you have into the rifle (less the scope/mounts, I know how much those cost)?

I was under the impression that MRC actions were hopelessly backordered, even moreso in LH. Is that still the case, or are they available to be delivered within a reasonable timeframe?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cmfic1,

in response to your question, I was contacted by cz last january and was offered the opportunity to pay 1299 if i recall correctly for the rifle. i have seen them sitting there for 1900 next to 900 rh models in the same caliber. this is an extreme mistake by cz in my opinion. if they sucked it up and offered at the same price point as the rh guns, I am sure they'd make up the tooling costs with volume sales.

i have put money into the rifle and i think i'll play with this one awhile to create what i want.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
Mike,

That's a great-looking combo! Might I pry as to how much you have into the rifle (less the scope/mounts, I know how much those cost)?

I was under the impression that MRC actions were hopelessly backordered, even moreso in LH. Is that still the case, or are they available to be delivered within a reasonable timeframe?

Thanks for the compliments. It is not a bad looking rifle but I wanted an all weather, put in the bottom of the boat, drag around rifle. I can drop this rifle in the mud, rinse it off in the bayou and use it.

I know the PH's are hopelessly backordered from MRC but I did not think the standard receivers were that bad.

As far as cost (this is from memory) about $1100 for the barelled action, $500 for the stock. From there whatever you want to spend on sights, bedding, etc. I do not like posting AHR's prices to do gunsmith work, but give Wayne a call, he is great to deal with and he loves working on left hand rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the recent MRC price increase both the MRC and CZ are priced similar but it depends on what you are looking for. For example:

MRC SS in a McMillan stock will run about $1,600. One action I owned would hold 4 down, one would hold three, yes weird. But this is a rifle without iron sights so factor in another $200 for good irons.

Was just quoted $1,750 for the CZ. This is walnut, blued steel and I was told they would hold 5 down. Also has factory iron sights.

Third choice, Ruger. Managed to pick up one of the stainless lefties (375 Ruger) for $600 when Buds Guns had them. Rifle has iron sights as well and a really nice laminate stock that could use a good pad. With luck you can find a lefty Ruger African that has a 23 inch barrel and iron sights for the mid $800 range.

Anyway you cut it, going with the classic H&H is going to cost you another $1K.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I can only get three down in my MRC Lott.

My CZ 375 will hold 5 down.

Does Ruger have the 416 Ruger in Left Hand?

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway you cut it, going with the classic H&H is going to cost you another $1K.
That's exactly what I'm running into. Sure, I could just take the easy road and buy a 375 or 416 Ruger or have one rechambered to 458 Win, but I'd like to have the more tradtional 416 Remington or 458 Lott. I like a 375-length case. It affords more loading possibilities with the longer case.

Also, in response to Mike, you said your Lott has a McMillan stock on it. Do they make a stock for the MRC action, or do the ones for the M70 action fit it? I didn't see a specific one on their website for MRC actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMillan makes the Winchester Supergrade stock that is inletted for the MRC. Owned a couple and the fit was excellent with the STOCK MRC barreled actions. Anytime you get into aftermarket barrels the fit around the shank starts to become questionable.
Great choice and built to your LOP with a nice 1 inch pad of your choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
I can only get three down in my MRC Lott.

My CZ 375 will hold 5 down.

Does Ruger have the 416 Ruger in Left Hand?

No, sure wished they did. But I am in the process of building one. Have a SS Shilen #5 .416 that will be mated to a SS Lefty Hawkeye. Rifle is due in any day and my smith will most likely have it finished in a couple of weeks. One of the forum members here ordered me a couple of SS Ruger .300 Win Mags with the laminate stocks for just under $500 each. Picked up the barrel for $200 and last time I checked my smith charged about $150 to fit it if I passed on the action squaring which I will.
Will post some results when it is finished.
Sorry for getting off track here as the original topic was CZ big bores.