New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Hand 22 Pistol.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there any left handed 22 pistols out there? Either revolver or auto loader.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Howard, I believe you can purchase a LH grip set for the MK II semi auto by Ruger. Volquartson makes it and I plan on putting a set on.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a semi-auto pistol, what difference would it really make? In a pistol there is no worry of brass flying across your line of site.

So, if the grip works or is changable, it should be fine.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cliff, thanks for the tip.

I think it would not make a big diff but a left hand pistol would have the mag release, safety lever, etc all set up correctly.

Can't see where it makes any real diff on something like a Single Six which is what my son really wants.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted Hide Post
Charter Arms makes a LH revolver, and I've seen LH 1911s, but as mentioned the standard semi-autos should not bother a lefty. Colt's cylinders spin oppisite to a S&W, some say that benefits a lefty.

Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
Are there any left handed 22 pistols out there? Either revolver or auto loader.
All American-made single action revolvers and their clones, except those few made by Lone Star, are left-handed. Many people believe the reason for this is that Samuel Colt was left-handed.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very interesting........I didn't know that.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All American-made single action revolvers and their clones, except those few made by Lone Star, are left-handed.

Howard,

Don't know exactly about Sammuel Colt but the vast majority of single-action revolvers on the market are VERY left-hand friendly. A Ruger Single-Six - L/H perfect!

As for other revolvers, Dan Wesson's with their cylinder lock up front of the cylinder are also extremly L/H friendly when compared to S&W's behind the cylinder lock-up. At least to me; a 100% Leftie.

There was at one time a L/H Model 1911 .45acp on the market, IIRC made by Randall?

The CZ pistols in the 85 series have additional leftie controls except for the magazine release, also.

I have the Hougue L/H grip set for my Ruger MKII 22lr pistol. They're not exactly inexpensive but very comfortable and afford good, sorta sticky purchase. Net, I like them but if you've either the R/H or L/H set they're not user friendly for the opposite side. They could be a tad on the large side, if your son is of smaller stature.

The Ruger MKII is a good, solid 22lr pistol and w/a couple of inexpensive tunings (trigger, especially) can be made up into a life-long companion, good shooter, cheap to feed & fun. Sadly, not VERY L/H friendly but w/practice you can learn your way around it's L/H shortcomings; the magazine & bolt release.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Volquartson on my Ruger and they are comfortable. I just set up a Browning Medalist with left hand grips and the gun is really left hand friendly. The left hand grips are cheap compared to the replacement right-handed ones. There is always the 1911 with a .22 kit.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard Sam Colt was a leftie, the cap and ball revolvers have the cutout for capping while holding it in the LEFT hand and the SAA have the same thing with the loading gate and ejector rod. But I have never seen it written where he was a leftie, or did he develope it for a military which used a saber in the right hand and a pistol in the left.
Thoughts anyone ??

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard,

the best answer, IMHO, is a 1911 with a Ciener 22 conversion with ambidextrous controls. I have a couple.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry: As for other revolvers, Dan Wesson's with their cylinder lock up front of the cylinder are also extremly L/H friendly when compared to S&W's behind the cylinder lock-up. At least to me; a 100% Leftie.

Lets see, with a Smith, you just take your thumb to the left side of the revolver and push the cyl release... With a Dan Wesson, you have to use two hands, one to hold the revolver, and the other to reach for the cyl release...

I can't see needing two hands and reaching being an advantage, in fact it's one of the things i dis like about D Wessons! AND, i'm left handed, and have owned several D. Wessons.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input everyone. He settled on a Ruger Single Six and loves it.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com