Find
Notify
Tools

Sako 300 Wby lefty?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
I was at the local gunshow today and came across a very good condition Sako LH in 300 Wby. Now, I'm not totally clear on the history of LH Sakos. I know they were made, but I've no idea when it comes to models or time periods.

This particular rifle was a controlled-feed model with a wood stock with a high comb, gloss blue metal and chambered in 300 Wby. It was a really nice looking and handling rifle (save for the nasty-ass muzzlebrake someone tacked on) and it was in great shape. The guy wanted $1185 for it. Was this a good deal? Can someone enlighten me on a brief history of the LH Sakos? I can't remember the model number, but it looked to be pretty new (10 yrs or so). Thanks!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it was CRF? I thought the left hand Sako's were all push feeds. With a mauser like claw on the side of the bolt.

Never saw a LH in 300 wby. But I could have had a LH deluxe model in 270 about 10 years ago for $700........wish I had jumped on it then! One of the "non buy" regrets that I have. Beautiful rifle.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It was probably an L461R AV 'Deluxe' you saw. I've owned several of these rifles in 7mmSTW, .338 WinMag, and .375H&H. All shot very well, but none were CRF.

I do not recall the .300Wby being offered in the LH model, so that may have been a re-barrel.

$1185 would be on the very high side for that rifle. $850-900 would be more like it.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would have to agree with George on this. $900 tops if it is in excellent condition. Muzzle brake would lower the price in my opinion.
Never have seen a CRF LH Sako either.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There has never been a CRF Left Hand Sako action. The first LH Sakos were the "A" series, push feed, introduced in the late 70's. They were followed by a modified "A" series action called the L691, introduced in the late 80's. Those two actions were the only LH Sako's available in Magnum calibers.
I know for a fact that there were LH 300 Weatherby L691's available as I almost bought one. The local merchant of death had two, a 300 Win & a 300 Wby. I chose the Winny because I already had a Weatherby.
The later 75 series left hand guns were only available in "standard" calibers.
I agree with George and Snowwolfe. $900 tops for an excellent condition gun.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I didn't mean to mistype earlier when I said the action was CRF. It had what looked like an extractor running down the side of the bolt. I know Sako never made a true CRF action, but they had their "version" that functioned pretty well on its own.

If it was indeed an L691, which sounds like what I saw, when would it have been manufactured? That is, when did the production of this model in this caliber end? I'm just very curious about this; not sure why!

$1185 seemed expensive for a gun like that. I know Sako's have always been a premium rifle, but I didn't think they were THAT premium. Does anyone have any pictures of a rifle like this?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one in 300 WBY that I bought around 1989. I could be off a year or so. The rifle was a wood stocked rifle. It had a walnut stock that was almost blonde in color. It was a beautiful rifle, and shot very well. I would pay $1000 or $1200 for one like that one(today). But the condition would have to be excellent, and it would have to have great wood-as that one did. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Tip Burns has one in is shop just like that its in great shape and he wants I think $1300 and it has a Kahles multi-zero scope on it. He has a couple of lefties laying around there.

If your intrested give him a ring

www.burnsgunrepair.com

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Well, after a little Googling, I was able to find the instruction manual for the L691 LH and its chamberings. Here's the front page of the manual:

I wouldn't mind scoring one of those in 416 Remington!