Find
Notify
Tools

Lefthand Remington 600
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of urbaneruralite
posted
Shown below is a LH Remington 600 sold as having belong to Col. Charles Askins. Was it a one-off or did Remington produce some for general consumption?

Posts: 57 | Location: SE, US | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was a conversion. Askins had many such rifles. I don't know who did his conversion work but it's about impossible to get a smith to do one today. I have a Bob West conversion on a pre-64 Model 70.

I've seen Mausers, Springfields, Remington 600s and 721s and model 70s so converted. Sedgley used to do conversions on Springfields and Griffin and Howe did Mausers and Springfields. Some conversions were rather ingenious. Some not so much.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree with mart. It's a left-bolt right-port gun, so it most likely was a conversion.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember the rifle from one of his articles. I don't recall what caliber. I used to look forward to all his articles, not becase I was a huge fan but because he always had some cool left hand conversions.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
I agree with mart. It's a left-bolt right-port gun, so it most likely was a conversion.

George

Most of the old left bolt guns with right ports are converts except for the Remington 788s.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of urbaneruralite
posted Hide Post
Here's the link to the listing where I saw it: http://www.icollector.com/Cust...tion-Rifle_i11405835

Note that it already sold or I'd've bought it before I posted about it!

Posts: 57 | Location: SE, US | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My LH Rem 581 22LR is also a right port gun.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many of Colonel Charles Askins rifles went up for sale at R.I.A. a couple of years ago. In fact they spanned several consecutive auctions. The majority were converted Mausers. All were beautiful and well done. Whoever did the gunsmithing was exceptional. The late Gary Stiles of PA. a member of the A.C.G.G. used to make them. I tried to have him make one a few years before he passed and would not consider it due to the labor and time required. A newer gunsmith with time and vacancy on their schedule is more apt to take on the work, but I do not recommend it.

Posts: 1023 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember a bunch of his rifles going up for sale by his family some years ago .. I got excited and thought that I would buy a 'plain' one even if it was a bit pricey .. The asking prices were about 15 times what that 600 went for ... Grrrrr !!! So I passed.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote