Find
Notify
Tools

Petite bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of urbaneruralite
posted
Which is the smallest and shortest centerfire action that will handle .308 based cartridges AND has the bolt on the correct side?

Posts: 57 | Location: SE, US | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The smallest I know of would be New Ultra Lite Arms model 20. Also, supposedly you can get the Forbes 20b in left hand, which would be the same size action for a lot less money, but I don't believe they have actually shipped any out yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Browning Micro Hunter is pretty small too, and a whole lot cheaper! I had one in 25WSSM that was under 6 lb.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I guess we're all in wait and see mode on those Forbes rifles.

Vol717, how was that 25 WSSM? They must not have made very many of the super short actions and fewer yet in 25. I've had an eye out for one for years. Is the .308 length Micro Hunter a different action than their standard?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Browning 25WSSM from someone here and the package included loaded ammo, brass and dies. It was just as effective as a .25-06 in a whole lot shorter and lighter package. Because of its size, it was the rifle I grabbed first when I took a walk on the farm. It took a fair number of coyotes and a few deer. I only owned the 25WSSM for about 2 years before I got a 257 Weatherby barrel for my Blaser. I kind of wish I had kept the 25 as I have nothing so light and compact, yet effective. I still have the only left hand Browning Micro in 22 Hornet that I have seen, but it is heavier than the 25 was. I think that Browning only makes 2 action sizes and this would be on the shorter one.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice rig. Thanks. I'm gonna keep on keeping an eye out.