New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left-hand 1911 pistol ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Randall, Safari Arms, perhaps others made some true left-hand 1911 pistols in times past.

Have owned and shot them.

Given that today there must be umpteen variations of the 1911 from Officers, Commanders, Gov't, Long Slides, Bobtails, and all the hybrid combinations conceivable thereof made and for some pretty small niche markets...

Given how much modern manufacturing technology makes small dedicated runs more efficient and economical than they used to be...

When can we expect to see a true left-hand 1911 45 back on the market ?

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I doubt it will be anytime soon; manufacturers seem reluctant to expand product lines in this economy.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

quote:

... manufacturers seem reluctant to expand product lines in this economy.

Just heard Obama say that everything was fine with the economy.

posted Hide Post
If you're living off the taxpayer, it is.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Everyone on the internet says I am the last non-believer.

That everyone else has accepted Obama as their one and only and that the economy is booming. Biden has confirmed it.

Back to the left-hand 1911...

Seems like all the long gun makers have lefties in their stables now.

Anschutz
Benelli
Beretta
Blaser
Browning
Granite Mountain
Montana
Remington
Ruger
Sako
Savage
Shilen
STAG Arms
Tikka
Remington
Weatherby
Winchester
etc

Don't need all the 1911 makers to make a lefty. Just one will do. For now.

One of Us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted Hide Post
Besides an ambi safety, what are you looking for - a left handed mag release and the ejection port on the left side?

I think the ejection to the right is no problem - and I've adapeted to the mag relase and have an ambi-safety on both my 1911s. . .

Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of x-ring
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

I have one of the aforementioned Randall .45's.
(I don't care for all the 'pimp' scroll work, but it was already done--I wasn't going to pass on it because of it).

In any case, I'm glad I got it--but frankly when I go to the range or carry--I usually pick something else. Okay...truth is, I hardly EVER shoot it.

Old habits die hard. I've adapted to shooting RH pistols with my left hand. So when I shoot something left-handed or modified to shoot 'semi-left' it feels as if I'm learning some of the mechanics of shooting all over again.

If I did it often it would be a different story.

As w/ Nanook--I have modified a few of my pistols (a match .45 in particular) with a LH mag release and have an ambi-safety. Makes it a bit more LH friendly to shoot. But again, not all my pistols are modified this way, so switching back and forth takes some getting used to. It's all about the motor skills and habits right?

Adapting to LH rifles wasn't a big deal--and can shoot either without having to 'think' about it. The skills with a pistol (for me) haven't transferred so easily.

The more I do this, the more I value simplicity and consistency. My LH Randall doesn't really fit in either of those categories--but in this case--it just doesn't matter. I think most of us own a firearm or two for reasons other than their function as a 'tool'. The Randall is one of those for me.

One man's experience...

RECTUM NON BUSTUS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most important change no one's mentioned here seems to me to be the rifling twist--

Standard-LH- pulls the gun away from the lefty paw.

The RH twist of the KKM barrel on my favorite 1911 pushes into my hand, just like the LH does for the rightys.

It just feels better in rapid - and seems more controllable.

Posts: 82 | Location: SW FL | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
I highly suspect you will see some short runs of LH 1911s before the end of 2011.

Wink

Chuck

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both conventional 1911 and Randall left-hand 1911 pistols.

Have gone through Gunsite training with both.

Can handle either, but prefer the true left-hand version.

As far as case ejection goes, prefer the left-hand as fewer hot ejected cases go down my shirt.