THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    My attempt at an "Ugly LH Mauser" build

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My attempt at an "Ugly LH Mauser" build
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted
So I sent Gary my barreled action and a $150 stock blank I bought here on AR. I told him not to do anything fancy…..just wanted a gun to take out and hunt with that could take a beating and not make me cry. Here is what showed up yesterday. Sorry for the poor photos…its raining outside and I don’t want to get this wet!

I called Gary and gave him the riot act for screwing up my rifle. Yes I will still hunt with it, and expect it will have a few “beauty marks” in the future, but cant promise that I won’t cry when the wear and tear occurs.

I can’t stress how great Gary is to work with. Iron Buck referred me to him a few years ago and this is the third rifle he has built for me with more in the works. Gary breaks all the rules. He delivers great work, on time, and at a fair price for this level of work.

A few details.

Stock and metal work done by Gary Stiles http://glstiles.com/
Charles Daly LH Mauser Action
Custom Bolt handle
Action “Cleaned up” by Gary
Satterlee 3 Position Safety
Parker Hale Bottom Metal
26” Douglas #2 barrel 1-9 twist
Caliber 6MM-06 AI
Metal still in the white…plan on having Cerakote finish applied.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of x-ring
posted Hide Post
Awesome looking rifle. I share your 'dread' of taking a show piece rifle into the field. But I suppose I could learn to live with that one.

Well done!

RECTUM NON BUSTUS

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Damn! That's a hell of a $150 blank.

I think you failed miserably in making an "ugly" gun though.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Damn! That's a hell of a $150 blank.

I think you failed miserably in making an "ugly" gun though.

My thoughts also,
nice rifle Roscoe, that's not an ugly duckling, looks more like the golden goose!

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Truck Rifle to me!

Eeker

Where I hunt a weekend of mud, rain, X-ing a barbed-wire fence or two and some blackberry thickets will have that well-used patena on it in no time at all .....

Big Grin

quote:
Parker Hale Bottom Metal

Can you provide some detail on the fit of the Parker Hale bottom metal? Is there any metalsmithing required or is it an easy fit to the Zastava L/H actions? I'd love to get rid of that standard issue bottom metal with the silly floorplate relase button on mine.

All joking aside a very nice looking rifle; have fun with it!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi gerry,

i don't mean to hi jack the thread but i had 6 of the left handed actions when i could get them. i also found enough parker hale bottom metal to change them all out. it is a direct bolt up.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Max(hm2),
This bottom metal came from the action I bought from you. Not the same action, but did use that metal.

Gerry,
Gary can change the factory metal to a trigger guard release. He did this for me on the other two rifles that he has built for me. Not sure what all he does but they look great and show no sign of being altered. Search out my previous posts and check out the photos of the two mannlichers he did and you can see what they look like. The only reason I used the Parker metal is because he had a customer that wanted the push button factory unit. I sold that guy mine. You can give him a call and ask what he would charge to make the change for you. Not sure if it will require some stock work but he should know that too.

I truly did intend this rifle to be a working gun, and it still will be. I bought the barreled action a few years ago in the white. Used a rattle can and spray painted it to keep it from rusting. Threw it in a takeoff stock from a LH Daly rifle and shot 6 deer with it. Finally decided to have it done correctly and sent it over to Gary along with the blank and instructions of “keep it simple”. When he got the action in the mail he called and asked what kind of coating I used…he got a laugh when I told him it was Krylon BBQ grill paint. After the stock work began he called again to tell me the wood was pretty nice. I said great….but had no idea how good it was until I got the gun back from him.

The stock design Gary uses is also something special. Not sure what it is but they feel great. Has a open grip and slim lines that fit my hands well.

I don’t want to come across like I am trying to promote a product. However we have seen several people and companies getting bad press for their customer service lately. My experience with Gary has been just the opposite and I feel compelled to give credit where credit is due. There are still many gunsmiths smiths out there who do what they promise and deliver on their commitments. Gary is one of them.

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,

I understand completely about the positive feedback for Gary; timely, reasonably priced and solid workmanship is what it's all about and keeping the playing field level also a great attribute here.

Nice looking rifle, send along some photos when it's blued (in whatever variation).

Thx for info on the Parker Hale bottom metal (Max, you, too!), great food for thought.

Being in the Land of the Mauser I guess I ought to just get off my ass, find some bottom metal that fits and get on with Life.

Thx Guys.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a stupid question, but what kind of walnut? I am guessing claro?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Not stupid at all. The blank was marked as English walnut. I can't remember who I bought it from here on AR but assume it was marked correctly. Gary said it was a decent blank to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is English, you stole it! Congrats on a beautiful firearm.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,
Well done! That was a great buy on that wood blank.
What made you decide to go with the AI version of the chambering?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Roscoe,
Well done! That was a great buy on that wood blank.
What made you decide to go with the AI version of the chambering?

Randy,
No real reason for the AI version. I was a little worried about the feeding however the gun does feed well. Fire forming brass was a little tricky but I have 50 cases now and that should keep me shooting for a while. I took quite a few deer with the gun before I sent it to Gary and it was amazing. None went more than a few feet and most were bang flop kills. Im shooting 100 grain Sierra prohunter bullets and RL25. Very little recoil and very effective.

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Hey Roscoe

Beautiful rifle. I saw your stock when it was roughed out the last time I was at Gary's. It turned out very nice.

Gary called me a few days ago. He has my action done and is putting my barrel on soon. This is for my 7x57 LH Zastava Mauser. I had him do a few things that you had done. Like the thumb cut. And surface grinding the action to get rid of all the "advertising". I should be able to get some pictures in a few weeks. And the rifle will be ready to pick up some time this summer.

Gary does do some amazing work. I have him using an old, lever release mauser bottom metal for my rifle. I am going for an "old school" look. Gary still has my stock Zastava bottom metal with the button release. He can convert that to a "release in the bow" style if anyone is interested. He did that to my LH 35 Whelen mauser. And I think he did it to Roscoes 6.5x55 and 9.3x62. It comes off very well. Anyone interested can contact me. I could have Gary do it and ship it out.

Roscoe......I think we need a picture of your entire left hand Mauser family Smiler That would be a good one! I keep looking for one more LH Zastava action or rifle. I'd love to do a big bore project with one. Does anyone have any idea how many of these Charles Daly imported?

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Custom Bottom metal is very nice however it would have cost a lot more for me to go this route. The charge to convert the factory metal is not too bad!

Iron Buck,
Once I get this one back from being coated I will try to snap a photo of all three rifles together. Gary told me he was working on your Mauser. Sounds like you too are going to have a great gun. I look forward to seeing it complete. I have lots of ideas for my next project with Gary. Should be nice if I can get the ideas in my head, put onto a rifle. Going to try and stretch Gary’s abilities a little….just hope my check book can keep up with his talent level!

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Finally got this done.
Here are the 3 Stiles Mausers
Left to Right is the 6MM-06AI, 6.5X55, and 9.3X62

Thought you all may also find my Mannlicher Addiction interesting

Left to Right
9.3x62 Stiles Mauser
6.5x55 Stiles Mauser
Sako 280 Rem
Ruger 7x57
Serengeti MRC 350 Rem Mag

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe
That's a stunning set you've posted there. Love your collection of full-stocked rifles.

What barrel lengths do they have?

My compliments on your good taste.

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stu,
I enjoy the Mannlichers very much. They are a joy to hunt with in the bush...makes a great Africa rifle if you like to walk a lot. I seldom if ever use a sling on my rifle ( notice most have no sling attachments) and the full stock makes the rifle balance and carry better IMO.

All have 20" barrels except the MRC which is 22"....a mistake I will only make once!

I may make a 458WM mannlicher next....I have all these LH mauser actions laying around so I may get creative. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Wow!...They all look great Roscoe. What a nice collection. beer

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote