THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Newby Question- .375 H&H Model 70 Safari Express

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newby Question- .375 H&H Model 70 Safari Express
 Login/Join

posted
By hanging around auction sites, I've managed to pick up a LH Model 70 Custom Shop safari express stock, and .375 H&H barrel.

Any thoughts on the best place to look for a LH action and the other bits and pieces?

Thx.

One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum, headschmo.

Unfortunately, getting the stock and barrel was the easy part. LH M70 375 H&H length actions are harder (and more expensive) to come by. GunsAmerica, GunBroker, and AuctionArms occasionally have them for sale/auction, but be prepared to pay.

An alternative would be to get a regular length action with a magnum bolt head ( 7 RemMag, 300 Win, etc)
and get a smith to open it up to a long magnum (H&H). Again, not cheap.

The lefty long mags are out there, you just need to keep looking, and be prepared to pay.

Regards, Wayne E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It will be a lot easier to find a complete left handed 375 H&H rifle than an action. You might try to order a left handed Montana Rifle Co. LH action as it would fit the barrel and the stock would be close as they use similar bottom metal.

Here's my 2004 M70 lefty 375 H&H:

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any left handed Win 70 long action originally chambered for rounds like 7mm mag, 300 Wm etc can easily be converted to handle the longer length of the 375 length.
Our local gunsmith churms em out all the ime. Last time I checked he charged $100 and that included drilling/tapping another hole on the rear of the action. This is required when you mill out a small amount to help the action eject the rounds. Some people do not even go to the trouble of enlarging the ejection port. Just replace or cut the bolt stop and removed the spacer in the rear of the magazine.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking into building a 375 Ruger as it will easily fit a standard 700 lh long action and has a bit more case capacity than a H&H. So far my main concern is if a 7 mag stock can be made strong enough to handle the extra recoil.

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
headschmo,

As Wayne said, the stocks and barrels are easier to obtain than an action.

Snowwolfe pegged it; any LH M-70 long action will work, so if you can find a .30-06 you can use the action for your project.

remington33,

A 700's stock can be reinforced with 'glass or steel bedding, crossbolts in front of and behind the action, and as added insurance, a rod through the pistol grip. You might also want to relieve a bit of wood from behind the action 'tang'.

Or, you can buy a McMillan synthetic and skip a lot of the above.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or, you can buy a McMillan synthetic and skip a lot of the above.

George

Thanks George,

I have two BDL, LH stocks on hand and am looking for a kinda beat up and/or rusty 700 lefty to do this with. I have time and a little experiance so will make these Stocks do. Who knows I may even chose another caliber that will be more usefull. Just always wanted the 375.

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Folks,

Thanks for the ideas. I'll keep you posted!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi gents! New guy here thought i would put my two cents in. I also have a left hand winchester that was a 300wm and put a 458 barrel on it but i am having feeding problems with the last cartridge. My smithy does not want to mess with the feed ramp so i am considering another barrel swap to 375 ruger. This should stop feeding problems because the case has vertually the same diameter as the 300 and i can get the power i am looking for. Lefty winchester actions are very hard to come by. The cheapest way would be to find a lefty 300 and change the hole rifle. I also find that a new or used 375 winchester are going for twice the price they were selling for just 2 years ago. I kick myself for not getting one like i wanted to years ago.

Oh by the way snowwolf, who is doing the modes on the actions for $100. I would also like to extend my action to get more room for seating bullets out farther.

Posts: 81 | Location: whidbey island | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote