THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    LH Quick Release Scope Rings?

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LH Quick Release Scope Rings?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I snagged one of those LH SS Ruger 375's and ordered some Warne QR rings for it, but discovered that the bolt release latch is in the way of the rear ring. Does anyone make QR rings for a LH bolt action Ruger?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't own any Warnes or Ruger bolt-actions, but can't you just reset the levers to a different position, or even turn the rings around so the lever is on the other side?

My Talley QRs don't interfere with anything on my Winchesters, Sakos, or Remingtons.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope. I tried. Remember the Rugers have a machined in scope base that is fixed. You can't just flip the rings to the other side as they will not secure into the slots. The bolt release latch is on the right side (on LH actions) which is in the way of the rear ring's lever. I am pretty sure you would have to find QR rings specifically machined to a LH Ruger. Do they exist? That is the question.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think you should be able to re-index the levers by unscrewing the lever all the way out until it disengages from the stud, then rotating it a few degrees in the direction that will give you clearance from the bolt release latch.

I hope I've described it clearly.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
This may help. It is an adapter that screws on the integral Ruger base and converts to Weaver style mount. The Weaver style QR rings can be turned either way I believe.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/...tle=WEAVER%20ADAPTER

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Let me know if you find any I just received my rifle today and would also like some QD rings.

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to try Mike's suggestion and let you know. Thanks for the info.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Are you going to bed yours or shoot it as is?

Thanks, John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
I think you should be able to re-index the levers by unscrewing the lever all the way out until it disengages from the stud, then rotating it a few degrees in the direction that will give you clearance from the bolt release latch.

I hope I've described it clearly.

George

I don't have that set up and use Talley's but I gotta think George is correct and the lever can be re-indexed.

I loked at a photo of Warne's Ruger rings and they are similar to the Talley's in function. Just unscrew the lever until you can turn it on the stud, or unscrew it all the way. Shouldn't be a problem.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ropes,

I have shot it as is and the accuracy with the Hornady ammo was excellent. I am going to leave it alone and resist the urge to tinker. I might even just forget about this QR ring thing and stick with the Ruger rings it came with. You can put them on and off quickly with a quarter. I sent my Warne rings back too quickly gauging by what I have read here with re-indexing. Although I don't think it would have worked as that bolt release latch sticks out quite a ways. Thanks for all the info.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

one of us
posted Hide Post
BBC,

I don't know who makes them, or where to find them, but I have read of a lever conversion for the Ruger rings that makes them hand detatchable. Maybe a search here on on google will turn them up.

BTW, I think the levers on the "wrong side", ie, right side are the way things should be for lefties and levers on the left side would be better for righties. Nothing in the way when you are loading, especially loading quickly. Same with scope turrets.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an extra set of Ruger factory medium rings from Brownells for a second scope for my LH .375. I have a 1.5-5X Leupold and a 3-9 Zeiss for the gun. That should cover all bets.

Be careful about the Weaver base conversions. They make the scope really high.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
You can pull out the QD levers and re-position them, as several have suggested. I make mine both inward, facing one another. One is at the 3 o'cclock position and the other is at the 9 o'clock position.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
I bought an extra set of Ruger factory medium rings from Brownells for a second scope for my LH .375. I have a 1.5-5X Leupold and a 3-9 Zeiss for the gun. That should cover all bets.

Be careful about the Weaver base conversions. They make the scope really high.

and you cannot see the open sights.

Posts: 1794 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on what Cliff said. That's how I take care of my Warnes. I only use Warne QDs

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I have Talley QDs on a couple of rifles. I don't use the levers. I use the allen bolts and take an allen wrench with me. I've found that the levers catch on brush and open up and also dig into your back when on a sling. I've never felt handicapped by taking the levers off.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Double-D
posted Hide Post
I dont no about Ruger but Tally makes left hand QD rings for CZ550 (also with integrel bases) so they may for the Ruger as well? I have both styles of Warne and Talley on several rifles and I like them all about the same. The .375 ruger in the african model was kind of a disapointment to me. I was with buddy who had one in Zim two years ago and it didnt feed very well the buffalo died but...........

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I would recommend you call Warne and ask them if there is a way to reverse them.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just realized that I have a set of QR rings for a Ruger. They are 30mm but I'm sure that they make 1" as well. They look like Talleys but I can't find a name on them anywhere. They have a little lug that is captured between the two ring halves. The lug fits in the Ruger integral mount recess and the levers are adjustable to position them anywhere you want.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote