Find
Notify
Tools

New LH Ruger Compact
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted
I haven’t seen many posts about the new Ruger Compact rifles currently being offered by Ruger. I purchased a 338 RCM a few weeks ago. I read several reviews about the gun being a solid offering for someone wanting a lightweight, compact rifle. I was very pleased with the rifle once it arrived. I bedded the action before I ever fired a round, threw a few reloads together using RL-15 and the data in the latest Hornady Manual. The gun shot honest 1” groups at 100 yards while using the tailgate of my truck as a shooting bench. I don’t claim to be a crack shot so I expect the rifle could do better in the hands of a skilled shooter.

I mounted a Leupold Compact 2.5 fixed scope on the gun. Balance and feel is great. The stock is a little short for me but that can be fixed with a better recoil pad. The gun comes with open sights though not the ones on my 375 Ruger (which I prefer). Barrel is 20” long and I estimate the total gun weight ready to hunt to be around 7.5 LBS. I do not have a scale to confirm.

The 338 RCM appears to be similar to the 338-06, a cartridge I have used extensively in Alaska and Africa with great results. I have shot Dall Sheep, Grizzly, Caribou, Wolf, Elk, Deer, wildebeest, Kudu, Eland,….list goes on. I like the round for its power and lack of recoil.

I will be taking the gun to Africa in a few weeks and will give it a try in the Bush. Anyone looking for a handy little compact gun should give it a try. I think you will be happy….I am!

Cheers

338RCM on the Right, 30-06 on the left.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look forward to hearing the Africa report...

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking rifle Roscoe. I'll look forward to additional reports.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the early LH RCMs in 300 RCM. I was one of the very early ones without sights. I sent it back to Ruger and they rebarreled it with sights. I removed the rear sight and put one from the Blued African models on it. I like it a lot because the stock is a little shorter than standard and I don't have to remove the recoil pad for it to fit me.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an early 338 rcm lh it came with sights but a shoter stock also. The stock was cracked when it arrived so ruger sent me a new one, the new stock fits great but is about an inch longer on either end. I'm having an MPI fitted to it in win feather weight style as we speak. Do you plan to try vv n550 in it?

Jake

Posts: 53 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 29 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe you snake in the grass. What have you been up to lately?Isee you are trying to flog some Ruger reject probably with a bulged barrel,cracked wrist,worn sear and warped fore end for a Guild price. Probably to to secure financing for the the next quality rifle you steal from me. I may have another hot deal for you. I am having another stock made for my GM 338. Its a long story but it if it comes to fruition I will have the stock Dennis made for it as new left oover and I think you said you had a GM standard mag action.

Posts: 151 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona  | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Hey Phill,
I am guessing you finally got out of jail….hope the cell mates were easier on you this go around. I hope you learned your lesson this time and will quit stealing those old ladies purses. Give me a call so we can catch up. No doubt you will need bail money again soon so keep my number handy. Always willing to help out a fellow lefty!

R

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up one of the new version of the 338 RCM lefty's. They have done away with the "Hawkeye matte" finish. It is now back to the traditional Ruger "semi-gloss" blue that all their rifles always had. Not sure why they gave up the matte finish. To me it was not that bad.

Checked my trigger. Out of the box at 3.5# exactly. Still have on order a Wolff spring for it, so I'll compare the two and see. Don't mind if it does drop a tad more.

Overall, not a bad looking gun. The recoil pad is their red rubber slab of tire, so that's coming off quick. The wood is good, but no figure. Found a prefit Limbsaver that fits perfectly. Mounted a Zeiss 3-9 (thanks Doug at Cameraland!). Should have it at the range next week. Loads are already completed with 185 grain TTSX's.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got it all sighted in today. Trigger is now 2# 10 oz. with the Wolff spring.

Loads are clocking 3050 FPS. Wasn't shooting for accuracy today, but had 4 shots touching at 100 yards, so it's good to go.

Great performing cartridge and rifle.

Note: The Limbsaver pad for a Savage 110 fits almost perfectly. 5 minutes of sanding the toe down slightly, and it looks like a grind to fit pad was installed.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was the spring easy to install? What bullet weight are you working up a load for?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring takes literally 10 seconds to install once the gun is out of the stock.

The pin that holds the trigger can be pushed out with a brass punch (no tapping even necessary). Then the trigger falls out. Swap springs and put back together, push pin through with your thumb and you are done.

I took it out of the stock anyhow to check the bedding and recoil lugs, as well as to put a coat of poly on the internal wood surfaces, and a light coat of grease on the bottom of the barrel and action. I don't intend to take it apart again, unless it gets soaked with rain or snow, so this was just preventative steps.

I'm shooting the 185 gr. tipped TSX. RL15 powder and CCI mag primers.