Lefthanded DGR Options
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
So what options do we have as lefties?

Ruger #1's
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker with Boss in .375 H&H

Who else makes something for southpaws worth mentioning?

I think Blaser makes one in lefty but I dont think you can get your hands on one under $1,500

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
You can find a Sako 375 or 416 every now and then for under 1500.

Montana rifle company can get you an action and a good smith can throw one together for 1800 to 2000, in a 375,416,404,458 ect.

Blaser with the price increases will cost you on the north side of $2600 for syn.- up to 6000 for the attache, that is what I shoot. I like them but I think the price is getting pretty stiff for barrels, they are sound options.

I have had a Hein action on order for about 1year and 2 months. I'm not counting on it anytime soon. So I would not consider that an option.

Saterlee or Empire and a host of other custom makers will get you an action or build you a fist class rifle, but bring your check book. Most will be between 4,000- and 7000.

Good luck in your left hand quest!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dakota also makes a nice action and it can be ordered with a slighltly dropped floorplate to hold four down.
I just picked one up and they are very nice. Pricey($1600 thru Brownells)but after owning stock Win 70's and a couple of MRC's the smoothness of the action does impress me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I have a Mark X action I was going to get built into a .458, Jim Kobe has a LH Sako that he has said before he'd like to sell or build into something for somebody.

Couldn't a feller take a Ruger 77 action and re barrel it to a .375 Ruger or a 9.3x 62? I hope I hope!

Still some used LH model 70's around on Gunbroker every once in a while. Don't ask about the price.

Posts: 9461 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be an easy job to rebarrel a Ruger 7mm mag, 300 mag, etc to 375 Ruger.
I havent seen a conversion but am judging it would feed well with no work.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington??

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't consider any single-shot or push-feed optimal for DG like Cape buffalo, lion, hippo, elephant, grizzly bear or polar bear.

That said, if you cannot get your hands on a lefty Winchester or Dakota, and you don't want to deal with the hassles reportedly associated with an MRC, look for an old Sako FinnBear in .375 or .416.

The Sako L61s are the best of the push-feeds, IMO.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
I don't consider any single-shot or push-feed optimal for DG like Cape buffalo, lion, hippo, elephant, grizzly bear or polar bear.

That said, if you cannot get your hands on a lefty Winchester or Dakota, and you don't want to deal with the hassles reportedly associated with an MRC, look for an old Sako FinnBear in .375 or .416.

The Sako L61s are the best of the push-feeds, IMO.

George

George, 1 more post is 9,000, sheesh!

Like it was said, the easiest way to go is a Ruger magnum chambered rifle converted to 375 Ruger, 375 or 416 Taylor or 458 Win Mag.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Empire Rifles as good as they come

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Empire is a great rifle, however I've had a LH 375 H&H on order for a year and a half. Starting to get a little angry.

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I called Ruger a couple of days ago and their 77 African LH in .375 Ruger is due out around new years.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
I called Ruger a couple of days ago and their 77 African LH in .375 Ruger is due out around new years.

New Year's of which year? Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:

New Year's of which year? Big Grin

George

The same year as the Remington/Baikal 45.70 double rifle.
Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...A good friend of mine (A Zim P/H) wants me to sell his NIB left hand .375H&H. I've been holding on to this rifle for several years, and it has never been shot. He decided that since most of his clients are right handed, this .375 H&H would seldom, if ever be used. He wants $1795, which includes shipping to the lower 48.

Since the topic is referring to Lefthanded DGR options, I listed it here.

TSIBINDI

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'm a little interested, what are the details of the rifle and can you supply a picture?

Posts: 9461 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott:

The rifle is a SAFARI EXPRESS 24" bbl. The stock is straight grain, with a rather dark, oil finish, and a black recoil pad.

As stated, the rifle is NIB, and has all the papers.

Sorry, I don't do fotos. Computer illiterate.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info but I don't think I can. PM sent.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Alternatively, you COULD go for a Remington M700 and rechamber it to pretty much anything you want. I know it's blashphemy here on the forums, but I've seen plenty of people (one in particular) who have taken them to Africa without a hint of trouble. You could also use the Weatherby Mark V in 378, 416, or 460, or literally rechamber it to whatever you wanted, including any Rigby-length cartridge. Another option someone mentioned would be to grab yourself a Ruger M77 and rechamber it to any 458-length cartridge. M77's are a dime a dozen, so this would be really easy and cheap.

Of course, if you ever find yourself hanging upside down and trying to shoot one of the big five, you're TOAST! sofa

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote