New
Find
Notify
Tools

Champlin 375
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm currently talking to a chap who has a leftie Champlin in .375 for sale.
The rifle was built in 1971 and is of classic African safari style.
Bullet trap in the butt, 16 lines to the inch chequering, one standing and three folding and a Pachmayer swing aside mount ( not at all familiar with this ? ).
It appears to have done little work and although I have yet to physically handle the gun, the seller tells me that it is beautifully balanced but no lightweight.

I'd be grateful for any owner experience about Champlin leftie rifles.
I've had a look at their website but it doesn't really provide a lot of detail about the action - specifically as they were produced in 1971.

Any understanding of relevant values in today's market would also be appreciated.

Thanks for any help gentlemen.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It depends greatly upon what action was used - Brevex Magnum, Colt-Sauer, Mathieu, etc.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with Pachmayr "swing aside" mounts but they were manufacturing a "low swing" mount in the 70's which essentially had a hinge pin running alongside the offside of the action so the scope could be swung away from the receiver to enable the shooter to use the iron sights. The scope could also be detached. Return to zero would depend on the skill of the installer.

Pics and details of the low swing mount can be found here https://www.riflemagazine.com/.../PDF/ri66partial.pdf and http://www.lymanproducts.com/l...oSwingScopeMount.pdf

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The seller tells me this is Champlins own action ?
Do they not make their own ?

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Champlin produced their own action, one size, right and left hand. Very large, extremely strong and smooth. Is well suited for large calibers only, .375H&H and above, octagon shape, push feed, 3 locking lugs, Canjar trigger.
Look up an extremely well written book titled: Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank De Haas. He goes into detail, and well worth the purchase.
The rifle was built for Dangerous game hunting with excellent wood. No synthetic stocks, which were not in vogue back then.

Contact George Caswell at Champlin Arms in Enid Oklahoma for first hand knowledge.

I have only seen 3 left hand rifles for sale in over 30 years. Priced off memory $1,700-4,400.

The blue book of gun values, 36 edition by Fjestad lists them $8,500-4,500. Depending on condition and wood character. Granted a 460 Weatherby caliber would be near impossible to liquidate. Also explains the discrepancy in pricing.

Be aware, I would not trust any gunsmith to work on it if needed. I would personally send it to Champlin for best results, especially for action work. $$$$$!!!!!!

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
In good shape 3,500-5,000 is what I have seen the few bring...if your not interested PM me and pass the number along...I am...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote