THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Why does a LH Ruger Hawkeye African ....

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does a LH Ruger Hawkeye African ....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted
in 375 Ruger cost $929 dollars, while a LH Hawkeye in 270, 30-06, or 300 WM goes for $599? (GunBroker prices)

From what I can see, the difference between the two is iron sights on the African. Same receiver, right? Chamber the barrel for 375 Ruger, add irons, and the price jumps 330 bucks?

Is the wood upgraded on the African? Or is this just another case of stickin' the lefties with a premium if they want a 375 bore? Am I missing something?

Wayne E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The right and left handed Hawkeye Africans have the same MSRP of $1139 while the standard Hawkeye's MSRP is $779.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12589 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This gun is still a deal at > $900. I have had mine glass bedded, changed the recoil pad, added a bbl band and still have less than $1100 in the whole rifle. It looks better and has better balance / comfort than most any other big bore lefty I have been able to find.

One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
The right and left handed Hawkeye Africans have the same MSRP of $1139 while the standard Hawkeye's MSRP is $779.

Roger that, Frank. But what is the difference, besides iron sights, between the standard Hawkeye and the African?

Just curious, as I have not been able to handle either model, and the web site doesn't seem to spell it out.

Wayne E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Elmer:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

Roger that, Frank. But what is the difference, besides iron sights, between the standard Hawkeye and the African?

Just curious, as I have not been able to handle either model, and the web site doesn't seem to spell it out.

Wayne E.

The difference that I see are the open sights, longer barrel and the crossbolt in the stock. It doesn't seem like a lot of difference for $360.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12589 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote