Tools

LH Mauser Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted
Look what came to my house today!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Interesting piece. How about some details on your 9.3x62? Is it on a Zastava action?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did it follow you home from the grocery store? Is momma gonna let you keep it? If she doesn't, I can find it a good home Smiler .

Congrats! More details...details ... details...

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please, more details!!

Posts: 38 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 21 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
More magic from Gary Stiles. It is the brother to this guy....but with a few changes. Up next is a 6MM-06AI and then an 8x68s....then I have to find another action!

Hey folks,
I thought I would share some photos of a new addition to my rifle collection. This one is going to be a keeper! I have always found mannlicher stocked rifles a thing of beauty. As all of you lefties know...there are not many around for us to choose from. So after seeing some of the work Gary Stiles did for another forum member, I contacted him and got this project started in June of last year.

First off, Gary is a great guy. Not a big talker but getting to know him, he takes a lot of pride in his work. He has a lot of experience working on all types of rifles but really likes to work on Mausers.

I told Gary that I wanted a slim, trim hunting rifle that would be easy to carry. I asked for a classic style stock made to my dimensions. We talked about a few additional options and once I felt we were on the same page I let him take over.

The rifle began life as a CD Mauser in 30-06. Gary ordered a Douglas barrel of light contour (I believe a #1or#2) cut to 20†in length and fit it to the action. He must have done a lot of work to the action because it is now very smooth and has no slop when I work the bolt. If anyone has used a factory CD Mauser you can appreciate what this means…they tend to be very ruff and a tad sloppy!

The Bolt handle is new and checkered on two sides. Gary also replaced the push button magazine release with a trigger guard style latch. I have no idea how he made it look so well…there is no evidence of welding or cutting anywhere. I would have guessed that it was new bottom metal but Gary tells me he simply converted the original.

The safety was made by Stuart Satterlee and installed by Gary. Gary also made the scope bases at my request. I like Talley rings however I don’t like Talley bases. They seem a bit blocky for my taste.

The barrel band rear sight base has an integral recoil lug and a single leaf sight. The front sight is a simple ramp and hood. Both came from NECG.

The Stock blank came from Luxus Walnut…once again, a great place to do business with. I highly recommend them for anyone looking for a nice blank. It was sent to Gary for inspection prior to me paying a dime. Gary said the blank was hard and of the highest quality…checkering was a breeze!

The Mannlicher forend metal, grip cap, and the cartridge trap also came from NECG.

All said and done, the rifle exceeds my expectations. I would guess it weights around 8 lbs fully loaded and ready to hunt…balances like a dream, and points like an Irish setter! When I started the project I was told it would take about 12 to 13 months to complete…it was delivered in 9! Of all my custom rifle projects…this is the first one that was delivered ahead of schedule. Gary called numerous times to ask questions and provide updates on the rifle. He was always interested in understanding my options and offering feedback for design changes that he felt would benefit the project. Anyone looking for a quality gunsmith to build a future rifle should talk to Gary. I don’t think you will be disappointed with his work. I currently have him working on a twin to this gun…chambered in 9.3x62.

Here is a link to Gary’s web page.
Gary Stiles

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle. I'm Roll Eyes green with envy.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,
Congratulations on the completion of your new rifle. Thank you for choosing my safety and mentioning it's use in your post. Garys work looks outstanding.
Stuart

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
ROSCOE

SUPEr nice rifle!!!! I saw the stock up at Garys when I picked up my LH 35 whelen.

Interesting that you had the thumb cut added. It is something I was thinking of having him do to my second action. I still have to get the $$$ together to pay for the custom octagon to round barrel that I want on my 7x57. I am also deciding if I want to go with fancier wood than I already have with him. Decisions decisions. popcorn

Anyway, congrats on another great rifle! Gary does do some very nice work Big Grin If yours are every looking for a new home, keep me in mind!

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
OK, I am so jealous, that thing is gorgeous!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Just had to drool again Wink Now I am really considering having my second action turned into a mannlicher. Looks like I may need to look at new wood......or else a third action!

Beautiful rifles.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked around on the forums, Gary's website and e-mailed an action over to lefty but didn't get an answer/figure anything out. Not trying to dig into anyone's finances or anything but does anyone have a rough estimate on what it would cost to switch a mauser98 or pre64, and i'm guessing a new stock too (synthetic) over to lefty assuming same calibre? Thanks--

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why in the world would you do that when M70 Classics are freely available in LH for less than what you would pay for such work???

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoinski:
I checked around on the forums, Gary's website and e-mailed an action over to lefty but didn't get an answer/figure anything out. Not trying to dig into anyone's finances or anything but does anyone have a rough estimate on what it would cost to switch a mauser98 or pre64, and i'm guessing a new stock too (synthetic) over to lefty assuming same calibre? Thanks--

I asked Gary the same question and the answer I got was that there was so much work involved that he was not sure if he would do such a project again. I think you may be better off locating a LH action...but you never know. I know Gary has done this before...and looking at the photo's...it looks like he did it well. Try calling him on the phone in the evening if you don't hear from him on e-mail. He is a busy guy and has little time to spend on the computer.

R

One of Us
Picture of urbaneruralite
posted Hide Post
y'all heard of Empire Rifles?

Posts: 57 | Location: SE, US | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Yes. Very nice...at 2x the price as these customs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the actions or barreled actions available without a stock on 'em?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote