New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg New Lefties
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I noticed Mossberg introduced 15 new left hand shotgun models in 12 and 20ga. I love their tang safety, compared to a crossbolt safety, especially for a left hander. No more ejected rounds running through your line of vision every time you pull the trigger.
I know we all made due with what was available. Now we have better choices and I will support Mossberg in this endeavor and will be purchasing several.
This post is for letting the word out and to receive input from members who have already purchased or tried them.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I just can't buy a Mossberg product. I had a lot of hope when they introduced their SS-one single shot rifle, until I handled them.

I really thought that it would be a poor man's Ruger No 1, that with a little stock and minor tinkering could turn into a nice little hunting rifle.

Was I ever wrong! All three that I handled were fitted horribly, both in the wood and metal. I didn't expect hand fitting but this looks like it was done by foot. The metal finish was blotchy, the triggers were set at a gritty, 15-22 Lbs. One of the actions would not open unless you unlocked the lever and beat it open with the palm of your hand.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12555 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold, thanks for your input.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I saw those! What a great idea and totally unexpected from Mossberg. I'm glad they're making a serious commitment to the LH market. The hulls flying across my face is probably one of the biggest pains in the butt when shooting. That and the unburnt powder flecks that get stuck to your cheek... I've been looking for a pump gun I can use for home defense. With the quality and availability of accessories available for Mossberg, it warrants serious consideration.

Frank, I've never handled one of their SS-One rifles, but the new Patriot bolt actions I've goofed around with are every bit as nice as anything in the price range, and, IMO, more attractive than most. I've even heard they shoot well, too. The "4x4" they used to make was like the Pontiac Aztek of the rifle world. Why anyone would buy one is beyond me, but I'm sure some folks did. I'm glad they jettisoned that in lieu of something with some aesthetic appeal.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of urbaneruralite
posted Hide Post
I'd bet they'll sell more to righties than lefties. I never notice the empties ejecting, but I do notice an extra ease with use that righties don't seem to have with the port on the right.

Posts: 57 | Location: SE, US | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a perfect world the feed port would be on the righr but ejection on the left as in a double ported action, similar to some benchrest rifle actions.