THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Price check on a couple of left handed rifles

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price check on a couple of left handed rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
First one. Ruger Hawkeye in 375 Ruger. Stainless steel, greenish composite stock, iron sites, no muzzle brake. Shot only a couple of times. In very good shape. Left hand

Second one. Winchester Model 70 in 338 Winchester. It is a controlled round feed. I bought in the 2006 or so time frame. It has been to Africa with me once. In good shape. Left hand. Made in New Haven

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have some nice rifles. Currently the biggest audience with frenzy buyers, seem to be on Gunbroker.
Ruger Hawkeyes in .375 Ruger in different variations seem to be the most available on the net by far. $900- 1,250 for a new one. There are some that get listed over $1,600 just not sure if they are getting it. You also have to factor the auction site fees and shipping. The easiest sale is a local one where you meet at an ffl and do the exchange.
That caliber and bigger seem to have fizzled in demand of late. Availability and price of ammo are factors.
The Winchester Classic in .338 WIn. mag have been selling when they show up rarily in the $1,800-2,400 range. Wood character and some custom work will bring it up some. A Win. Custom shop built is double the money. Stainless Steel add $400. A .338 Win mag is not shiek right now, even thou it’s an excellent caliber. It seems a .473 bolt face caliber is what’s moving. It seems as a great majority of hunters have forsaken the magnums. I understand the better bullets of today.
There is one currently on GB for $1,900 with no takers, it could sell in the next 3 days.
List in the begining of the month when paychecks are fresh and not spent. Good photos are a must.
Best of luck to you.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.
Please check your spam box.
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.

I may keep the 338, thinkin about a moose hunt one day.

I have 4 boxes of factory ammo to offer the buyer of the 375 Ruger, less the only three rounds fired through the gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MikeBurke and I must have been related in another life.

I missed the SS LH .338 Model 70s. We sold my old f350 for cash. I handed the Wife the $ and she handed it back and told me to guy a gun. CDNN was selling off the last of the Blue LH .338. I had just enough for the rifle and a scope. I killed my first elk with it (lots of hunting, first one on the ground). Like Thor hit it with his hammer. I like that rifle!

I liked the LH Ruger .375R when they came out. CDNN had some on sale for (I think) $499.99 We were in the (long!) process of moving and by the time I was ready they were all gone. Some time passed and CDNN had some LH Ruger .375R FTW on sale for $599.99 and I managed to come up with enough $ to buy one. Then the scope. Then the brass, etc., It's been a long process. I like the rifle a lot. It's still in break in mode and I can put bullets on target at 400 yards using wimpy loads.

Good luck with your choice. Either would be a good rifle to sell or keep.

Posts: 278 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent in reply.
Cheers.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
I just saw your post. This is JPaul, I had to re-register after all these years of being out of the loop so to speak. I sold you (actually, your lovely wife) my Krieghoff 470 about a decade or more ago. all blued model. Just wanted to say hello.

As far as your post. I do not know too much about the Ruger 375. A good cartridge I suppose, however it will never have the romance or the availability of the H&H. but their gums are usually built tough as nails. In my opinion I would keep that LH Winchester. The 338 is a fine cartridge but more importantly you have a fairly rare duck. Who knows if Winchester will ever make LH rifles again and if they do they will not be made in the USA. If you don’t need to sell it, I would just keep it. It will always be worth a fair amount. I don’t think you can say that about the Ruger. I had one in 300 Win Mag and sold it, still regret that. Even if yo do not care for the 338 that much, the action alone is worth keeping just in case you want to build something in the future or at least until someone will give you really stupid money for it. If it was from the 90’s like mine was they were not all that expensive if I recall. We lefties just do not have a whole lot of choices. Just my 2 cents.

All the Best

JP

Formerly JPaul

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Valley, California  | Registered: 03 May 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from you. My wife is as lovely as ever.

The K-Gun made several trips to Africa, has some well earned wear, and I will never sell it. Too much sentimental value.

I will probably sell the 375, No emotional ties, when I held the Model 70 my mind went back to Tanzania.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
Really nice to hear that it has served you well. I do miss it on occasion but you helped to fund my dream rifle. Thanks

All the best.
JP

Formerly JPaul

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Valley, California  | Registered: 03 May 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Have sent PM in response to your PM yesterday.
Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
If you see this I'm not sure if my recent PM's reached you...??
If there is a better way to contact you could you PM info please ?
Cheers