THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Lefties shooting right handed bolt guns

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lefties shooting right handed bolt guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What disadvantages do you think that a left handed person has shooting a right handed action? Is there any kind of safety issues that come to mind? When I am doing load development the fact that the ejection port is on the same side as my face comes to mind for me.
I wonder if a rifle with the bolt handle on the right side & the ejection port on the left side would appeal to anyone.
I am just kind of thinking out loud, what do you guys think?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than an AR-15, and an Encore, I shot only left hand guns. The way I see it is that the more we buy, the more they will make! I'm still waiting on this to come true.

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
With a 22 rimfire semi auto, a lot of crap comes out of the port, I get sprayed in the face every time, I wear glasses so I always have a layer of protection.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In 'RH guns', I have a couple of 10/22s, an 11-87, and an AR-15.

I would not own, and I rarely shoot a RH bolt-action.

Things that concern me are the bolt handle breaking my nose, having to learn how to manipulate a bolt on the wrong side of the rifle, and gas escaping the hole on the side of the rifle my face is on.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of right handed rifles. If it is short action, and a good bolt, I have no issues throwing my hand over to work the bolt. Long actions give me a little bit of problems, but not much really.

Posts: 156 | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
I can't recall ever having a problem shooting any rh gun from bolts to shotguns with the exception of an old Mossburg 22 that I had as a kid. The shells ejected on my arm.
I could work a rh bolt about as fast as as a lh now.
Isn't it great that we have a pretty good selection now vs. the 60's and 70's

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
In 'RH guns', I have a couple of 10/22s, an 11-87, and an AR-15.

I would not own, and I rarely shoot a RH bolt-action.

Things that concern me are the bolt handle breaking my nose, having to learn how to manipulate a bolt on the wrong side of the rifle, and gas escaping the hole on the side of the rifle my face is on.

George

The gas port & the ejection port being on the same side as your face was what I had on my mind also. I have my eyes open for left hand donor for my next project. I am going to give it a try.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have one right handed bolt gun, a Ruger M77 in 243 I bought for my kids to shoot. The only other right handed guns are semi-autos

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought of trying the Springfield Match at Camp Perry. Borrowed a Springfield from a friend to try at a practise match. The never could get all the shots off in the rapid strings.

Garands can be a little tricky also(M1 thumb). Rumor has it the OP rods can be dangerous to lefties.

A friend has a Win 52E that is impossible to shoot(thumbhole and rollover cheek peice) lefty.

Most RH guns I can get by with, safties are often the biggest problem.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Shoot both R.H. and L.H. rifles with no problems. Still have my first bolt gun, a R.H. pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06 featherweight and wouldn't part with it for anything. I do shoot mostly L.H. rifles including (2) NULA's, a Sako, a Tikka, and others.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't own any RH bolt rifles and haven't shot any since I can't remember when. I've seen it done, and it looks awkward.

I like the way RH revolvers and 1911 autopistols (ambi safety, "RH" mag release) are set up, though. It seems as if they were designed to be shot and reloaded by lefties.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lost an eye with a right handed semi. bolt was
supposed to close and turn to lock bolt didn't
lock fired next round action blew open in my face

Posts: 136 | Location: s.e. bc | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only problem I ever had was shooting a FN C1 with a gasmask on.

short and fat and hard to get at, hit like a hammer and never been hit back.

Posts: 251 | Location: Just north of Salingrad. | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never been able to get used to shooting a LH rifle.I guess a lifetime of RH actions has made it unnecessary.I have found that while holding the grip in my left hand,the rifle is well balanced to work the action with the right.How often do you REALLY work the action without taking the rifle from your shoulder?Its not really comfortable,but one can reach over trhe top to worl the action left handed.As an aside,a friend of mine,after seeing "Saving Private Ryan"said that he thought of me while watching the American sniper.I was honored.But seriously,I've often wondered since the bolt action was originaly designed for wartime ordnance + that as we know,everyone in the service is right handed,Right?That just maybe the design was such that it was necessary for a right handed person to take their finger off the trigger to work the bolt.There were other considerations as well to save the soldier from himself,so why not that.As to the 1911,I've found that I can remove the slide safety with my forefinger with much more dexterity than some RH people can with their thumb.I personally don't care for the amb.safety.Digs into my side,+ as I said,using the forefinger works very well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4252 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I continue to buy both RH & LH rifles and am comfortable shooting both. One other reason, I have (11) grandchildren that are both RH & LH and at my age, you begin to think about where they're going next!!!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
How often do you REALLY work the action without taking the rifle from your shoulder?...

I'f I'm not shooting off the bench, every single time.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote