New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger # 1's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Never owned a single shot rifle and been considering filling the "itch".

How do these rifles fit the average lefty? Years ago remember reading many stories they never shot that well. How do they shoot?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi randy,

i have had a bunch over the years and being left handed myself i never had any problems operating any of them. i usually shorten up the lop by 3/8 inch just so they fit me better with heavy clothes on.

some shoot better than others but i never had one that was horrible.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Randy, I've had a few over the yrs, and are really quite fond of them.
25/06
375 H+H
416 Rem Mag (just sold it to a buddy)
458 WM
and am in the process of sending a MO off for a Boddington in 450/400

I have found all of them to give better than avg accuracy. But all of them have also gotten the factory trigger tweeked.

IMO you cant go wrong, and they seem to still bring in good $$ used.

What Chambering are you considering?

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually the 450/400 you just purchased. Almost posted my "I'll take it" before you did. But just remembered I have a lot of 375H&H cases and dies so that is a possibility as well.
Gunshow coming up this week so I will take a new look around looking for one.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
I'm real happy you have alot of 375 stuff....I'm grateful for that.

What a deal on that 450/400 though. Its funny, I just sold the 416 RM with intentions on buying a Boddington in 450/400, low & behold 2 days late that deal comes along, must be "gun fate"
I may try & round up one in 300 H+H now to have a matching set.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger #1 in 6mm Rem. It shoots < 1 MOA, especially with bullets equal to or heavier than 75 grains. Works perfectly for us lefties. It has, like several other Rugers I've owned, a long throat, or leade. Bullets need to be seated long to obtain optimum accuracy.

It is perfect for varmints; not sure I'd want a single shot in a large caliber for DG.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bill.

Posts: 259 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No. 1's work great for us lefties and the newer one's shoot fine. My favorite rifle by far is a 1-A in 7x57.

Persevere

SotG

Posts: 5 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've owned two, a 1-V .25-06 and an older 1-B .243 Win.

The 1-V needed a trigger job, but shot handloads into sub-1/2" groups @ 100yds. The 1-B needed serious handloading efforts, but also shot 1/2MOA with 55gr. Ballistic Tips (this was my 'chuck gun until replaced by a custom .243AI).

Technically, they're set up for righties, as the back of the receiver is 'relieved' on the right side to allow easier loading.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Ruger and Win 1885. As George mentioned the Ruger is more or less set up for a RH shooter with the higher LH sidewall, but it is no big deal to use as a leftie.

The Hiwall action is truely an ambi-dextrous action and even has a nifty shell deflector that you can use to deflect cases to the left or right side or even come straight back for use at the range.

If set up correctly both are accurate.

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one Ruger #1 (would like another) in 45/70. Shoots heavy bullets less than MOA. Mine is the stainless. With exception to the stock I really like it. Am a lefty as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a #1V .243. I really like it, about as close to being ambidextrous as possible.

Posts: 2393 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote