Tools

Which one?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted
Need an all weather rifle in 3006
Thinking about a Hawkeye stainless/laminate
or a Tikka synthetic. What do you guys think?
Is one better that the other?

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Handled a couple of Tikka's and just didnt like them much so my opinion is based upon never owning one. They appear to be made pretty cheap although a couple of friends have them and love them, while a couple had them and consider them junk. Of the two you mentioned make mine a Ruger anyday. But in fairness I never shot a "stock" Ruger other than my Ruger 375 as both my current Rugers are rebarreled. The new Ruger is crf with a decent trigger and handles well and has a bulletproof scope mounting system and they can be picked up in most Wal Marts for about $600 if your local dealer will not help you out.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of the Hawkeye better, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about Tikka accuracy. I used one in New Zealand that was very accurate but I was a little put off by all the plastic on it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12557 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger that I have owned for quite sometime but a friend of mine said that the Tikka's were very accurate. I will probably go with the Ruger . No complaints with them so far.
and I don't like plastic either.
Thanks for your opinions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used both, and currently have a Tikka .243. Wanted a Ruger when they announced the LH short action, but they never came through, and probably won't for another year possibly.

The Tikka shoots awesome, and feeds silky smooth. The plastic parts are designed to save weight where possible, and they really do, without losing any strength. just like Glock

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Mo:
I have a Ruger that I have owned for quite sometime but a friend of mine said that the Tikka's were very accurate. I will probably go with the Ruger . No complaints with them so far.
and I don't like plastic either.
Thanks for your opinions.

Big Mo I believe I just put a rifle in the classified that fits what your looking for. Ruger 77 nickel coated McMillian stock and very accurate.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
Just read your post , sorry but I ordered the Hawkeye.