Find
Notify
Tools

788 Stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted
Anybody know where I can get a left handed stock for a Reminton 788? I have a 788 in 6mm that I am thinking about a rebarrel and a new stock to make it my heavy varmint rifle.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAM308 I have an original factory stock off a LH 788 .308 and .308 barrel that had less than 20 rounds through it. If you want it it's yours.
pm me an address I'll send it on ot's way.

Posts: 1023 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam308 I took the action out of my stock 788 and completely tricked it out into a custom rifle. Hind sight 20-20 I woudn't do it again, it cost a lot of money. As stocks are concerned I had McMillan intall a dezert camo. A5 stock it took about 4 months and since I didn't have a factory barrel it cost extra to contour to my Pac-Nor barrel. When it arrived the safety was inletted on the wrong side so off it went again another couple of months. Off the top of my head I believe I spent around $650. According to McMillan's service dept. any Rem. 700 stock can be made to work. Lonewolf stocks out of columbia falls Mt. can also make it, excellent quality but not cheap. A lot of benchrest shooters in the 70's and 80's built their custom rigs on the 788 action due to action stiffness,fast locktime and left bolt right port design.Lee six enterprises a stock manufacturer out of san jose Ca. can build it. Check brownell's I have seen cheaper options in their cataloge in the past. The cheapest way to accurize it is to put a timney trigger on it, canjar used to make them and glass bed the stock.

Posts: 1023 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
MPI stocks in Oregon used to make fiberglass stocks for the left handed 788s

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote