THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    LIST THE LEFT HAND ACTIONS

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LIST THE LEFT HAND ACTIONS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok let's list all the actions to build customs on that are availible to us southpaws

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You might have to tear down a rifle to get them, but:

Browning A-Bolt
Cooper M20,M21,M22
Dakota M76
Kimber of Oregon M84
Remington 700
Ruger M77
Savage 10/110
Weatherby Mk V.
Winchester M-70
Zastava M98 (aka Charles Daly aka Rem. 798)

Rare birds:
Mathieu
Brevex
BAT

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i knew of
mrc
stiller
rimrock

just trying to put an info list for members and to help me decide next action to build on

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Oldie but goody:

Remington 788

Sako (no longer made either)

Tikka

CZ Model 3 (Montana Rifle Co)

Blaser

CZ says that they have a 223 size also.

Browning BAR

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles Daley mini and standard

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 26 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In no particular order, just as / when I can remember them:

Sako Hunter (aka 75?)

Steyr Mannlicher Model M

Mauser 77 (?) a push feed around sametime as Mod 66 and Steyr Model M, only conventional layout etc

Krico model 600? I believe these were available in Lh, mid - late 1980s

Heym SR20 + Newer modles

Tikka '590' series - fairly new, only recently phased out by the Tikka T3

Remington 700

Remington 788

Zastava M98 - FN Mauser clone. Also known as Charles Daly and now Remington 798

Dakota 76

Winchester new model pre-64, Classic

Stiller Predator models etc, Rem 700 clones

Borden rifles

HPS - Precision something, the same people who make the very good fibreglass stocks. It has a mix of features from the Rem 700, mainly, and the Win M70. I think they are called

Montana Rifle Company

Ruger M77 Mk11 - crf type

Blaser

CZ 452 - .22LR and the mini mauser ?527? in .223. Unfortunately, they will not be making the 550 series in left hand any time soon,?Ever?

Sauer 200 Series

Empire Rifles, New Jersey- Legacy and Standard rifles

Granite Mountain

Prectl / Ritterbusch etc rifles built arounf the Golmatic Mauser action

Waffen Fabrik Hein - Win M70 clone

Mathieu - v. rare

Cooper

Kimber M84

P.O. Ackley Japanese made Mausers - exceedingly rare.

Savage Mod 110 etc

Weatherby Mk 5. I believe these were available one time left handed.

Browning A bolt and the original T bolt

Plus others which I do 't know of / cannot remember.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 788 is a right-hand action with a left-hand bolt. It's not really a LH action.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "list" has already been put together. No need to reinvent the wheel so to speak.
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78711

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
The 788 is a right-hand action with a left-hand bolt. It's not really a LH action.

George

George,

I like the right hand eject, it makes it easier to find brass.

rotflmo

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adam2
posted Hide Post
Can anybody list any stainless steel left hand actions?

Posts: 76 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 August 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Winchester made a few M-70s in LH.

George

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
And they are SWEET clap

Here is mine in 30-06

Savage makes LH stainless rifles. Ruger & Browning do as well. When I picked up my Left hand Charles Daly Mauser actions, staimless was an option. Wish I had grabbed one now.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
And here's mine in 375 H&H! Big Grin

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at this page, about halfway down. These are custom action builders. I am getting it together to buy a Lawton 7500 in stainless with a lefthand bolt and a righthand port; fluted bolt. Price is almost a giveaway at around $800. We need suffer no longer...

http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
Look at this page, about halfway down. These are custom action builders. I am getting it together to buy a Lawton 7500 in stainless with a lefthand bolt and a righthand port; fluted bolt. Price is almost a giveaway at around $800. We need suffer no longer...

http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html

On that same page is the Stiller Predator for $750 and Jerry said he was making them in left hand.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robthom:
In no particular order, just as / when I can remember them:

Prectl / Ritterbusch etc rifles built arounf the Golmatic Mauser action

robthom,

Curious about this one. Prechtl told me he doesn't make a left hand action when I asked last year. Do you know if he once did but has stopeed?

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adam2
posted Hide Post
I got the same answer from Prechtl about three years ago - no can do. He did however say that he might produce left hand actions "in three years time".

Posts: 76 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iron Buck:
And they are SWEET clap

Here is mine in 30-06

And mine, also in .30-06:

Posts: 242 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
robthom,

The name you're thinking of is H-S Precision.

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS -

Thanks, H-S Precision was the company I had in mind.

Golmatic / Prechtl & left hand action Mausers

About two years ago I made enquiries with Ritterbusch about left hand Mauser action rifles. They were advertising / listing same.

Yes, Ritterbusch make left hand action rifles (at that time) but robthom could not afford it.

About a year and a half ago, I was in the London Holland & Holland shop and saw a customers' left hand take down Mauser action rifle with a walnut stock, the like of which I have only seen on very expensive furniture. It was a golden mustard colour with striking dark veining. The rifle was 'in' for refinishing after hard hunting. But it looked ok to me.

The gentlemen in Holland & Holland told me they had built the rifle on a Ritterbusch action, which they had 'smoothed-up' / polished and 'improved'. They stated Ritterbusch obtain their actions from Golmatic/Prechtl.

Now, the only companies that build left hand Mauser actions that I know for sure are Granite Arms, but only long magnum length actions I think, and Empire Arms: Standard & Legacy actions. But the Legacy is two lug, it lacks the third 'safety' lug by the bolt handle.

One day, I owe it to myself to own an Empire Arms Mauser rifle. The others, high taxes and low salary, will always be beyond me here in the UK.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

That rifle looks very familar - just like the one I shot a piggie with once!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Alexander:
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:
That rifle looks very familar - just like the one I shot a piggie with once!
And it looks good in my safe. beer

Posts: 242 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing in Shotgun News about four years ago that Charles Daly was to soon begin importing LH barreled actions in .30-06 and .223 Rem. I think only blued was going to be available. Too bad for me, I like stainless...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington LSS LH stainless in .300 RUM. I don't think they are still producing it, but I could be wrong. It's been bedded, free floated and a Timney trigger added. Shoots fairly well, MOA or slightly more, depending on the fodder. I don't reload for it. Sorry, no pictures.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talk to Gottfried Prechtl (Golmatic Actions) fairly regularly - he claims he has never made nor will ever make a L/H action, either standard or magnum.

A Heym SR 40 (the original L/H Mini Action) no longer made.

Go for the Blaser - just slide a R/H bolt in after you take the as purchased L/H bolt out. Pretty slick as a both sides rifle.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nesika Bay makes a nice LH in their Hunter action. Price is around $1500 but so very worth it...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Blaser when they first came out, got it in three calibrs 6.5X68, 8X68, 9.3X64.

short and fat and hard to get at, hit like a hammer and never been hit back.

Posts: 251 | Location: Just north of Salingrad. | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I have two Blasers and 6 bbls. Not a finer rifle have I ever shot.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Cliff,
If you do not mind me asking,what calibers did you get?

Posts: 251 | Location: Just north of Salingrad. | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another "old" LH action:

Mauser 3000

Posts: 7 | Location: AZ | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by octave:
Hi Cliff,
If you do not mind me asking,what calibers did you get?

Hi Octave. I have the following calibers; .222 Rem., .243 Win., .270WSM, 7mm-08, .308 & .30-06

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the most complete list for left handed guns on the net to my knowledge.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78711

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With that selection Cliff looks like you got everything covered from fox to moose.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I would not be afraid of Elk or Moose with either of the .30 caliber rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,
You are the first person to mention the Heym SR 40 LH rifle. I have one in .222 but no one here can tell me anything about it.
Can you give me more info and what the value might be?
regards,
Del Martin

Posts: 45 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40x
i'll buy your heym.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Texas Ranger action

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Blaser R84 with three barrels: 375 H&H, 300 Wby, 257 Wby. This rifle can use left and right-hand bolts on the same action to make the handedness choice easy. This action is a 60 degree turn-bolt rather than the straight-pull action of the R93. I just don't like the R93 and depending on those ball bearings to seal the breech.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2172 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and soon the cz 550

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

Wasn't the Texas Ranger action a Voere?

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote