THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    LH Ruger African finally here

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LH Ruger African finally here
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I needed a rifle for Buffalo and Leopard and have been looking for quite a while. I checked out the gun at Ruger's booth in Reno last year and was really impressed with the feel of it - especially when they (four different Reps) swore it would be available in LH. Fast forward one year of listening to many different excuses as to why it was late and I almost gave up hope of ever getting one. Last week we finally located one in Baton Rouge and it showed up yesterday.
After shooting at the range this morning I think its a keeper!
The gun is very light weight, slim and well balanced. The recoil pad, however, is worthless and it could use a barrel band swivel stud. I shot it without a scope and really enjoyed the open sights. Both the 270's and 300's (factory loads because I could not find any brass anywhere) shot at the same point of impact. Groups were 1 inch at 50yds and about 5 inches at 100 yds. 30 rounds were all I cared to shoot (did I mention that the pad sucks?) and had to quit after that.
This is my first rifle from Ruger and the first CRF rifle that I have shot. It won't be my last and it was absolutely worth the wait.

posted Hide Post
How about posting a photo of the rifle for us?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from DSC, Ruger had a booth this year and there was two Lt. handed Hawkeye's in 300 and 375. As I posted earlier there should be another batch of Lt. handed 375 Africans at the wholesalers this month.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any news if they will have a LH Alaskan.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[I also just returned from the Dallas Show and spent some time at the Ruger display. I also attended the AR party which was great. I must agree with Marvin J the rifle is sweet. Every time I shouldered the rifle I was looking right down the the sites with a perfect site picture. I agree about the barrel band. Maybe that could be a $100 option. The light weight felt good and one could put a scope like the Zeiss 1.8x5.5x38 without worrying about the extra 20 ounces of scope and rings. In a recent Magazine article the stock broke on a 375 African. I spoke with the Ruger rep that was on TV on the Cape Buffalo hunt. The one that fell and broke his nose and he stated that they had added a cross bolt and the one on display had this cross bolt. I would like the recoil pad that the Alaska model has; thick and soft. They also had a beautiful #1 in 375 Ruger. The barrels are a lighter contour on the DG #1s than the older models. Just before going to the Ruger display I stopped at a custom rifle maker that is highly recommended on the AR. They had a LH 375 H&H with a synthetic stock and about a 23 or 24 inch with about a #4 barrel. I picked it up and I thought this thing is heavy. The factory rep said it weighed about 9&1/2 pounds without the scope but he said they could make it lighter. I guess I should have ask him why they didn't. If you need a 375 H&H that weigh over 10 pounds with a scope you don't need a 375. I worked the action a few times and I thought this is an overweight, overprice rifle that cost I think $6000 to $8000. For that money the action should be as smooth as a hot knife going through warm butter I have a $225 Savage that I worked on that is a lot smoother. The Ruger was much smoother for 1/8 the money . When I remember the name I will post it as I am having a senior moment. Speaking of a rifle feeding; Ruger had a new 330 RCM and a dummy round that they gave a guy to try. It feed every time just as fast as he could work the bolt. My senior moment is over it was an Empire. Speaking of a smooth action I tried the new TC bolt action and it is a smooth action. Factory rep stated a left hand model should be around in a year or so. Same thing with Kimber. Notice how many magazine writers are Left Handed lately.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Marvin J ?? - I agree with George, let's see a picture of that "bad boy". If you need help posting a pic there are several good references here on AR to guide you through. Most use Photo Bucket I believe.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Army Aviator-
Thanks for the post. Did I understand you correctly when you said that Kimber was planning a LH rifle?
Thanks again.
Regards,
SB Smith

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Details details!!!

How much did it cost and does the dealer have any more?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I was also told by Kimber and T/C that left-hand bolts would be available in the not-to-distant future.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Marvin, great looking gun.

If you right click on the "IMG code" under your picture and then click "Copy" and then come here to your post and right click again and click "paste" it will put the picture into your post.

Like this:

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12586 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!!

Now it will only be 2 yrs before they are available up here in Canuckland!

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of uplndjake
posted Hide Post
I've heard similar things re: empire rifles as stated by army aviator. big $ disappointing on the value side. i just ordered my .375 ruger hawkeye lefty should have it by the end of the week. i'm looking foward to stoking it w/ 260 gr accubonds and partitions @ 2800+ fps (according to nosler). this, to me is the perfect combo for bear, moose elk etc. any word on the trigger? i heard it's 4.5 lbs and non adjustable i'd like to get mine about 3 lbs any remedies for that? gonna stick a leupold 2-8 w/ lr reticle on it.

chance favors the prepared mind

Posts: 16 | Location: the island, ny | Registered: 11 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Coloradokiwi
posted Hide Post
How much are they going for

Posts: 11 | Location: Colorado / South Island New Zealand | Registered: 21 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, thanks for reposting the pic of the rifle. I don't know what I did wrong but the address instead of the pic showed up. Sorry about that and thanks for the tips. My search for the rifle only started about two weeks ago when talk of the Lefty's becoming available heated up. I had intentions of getting on a waiting list at several of the big Ruger dealers while thinking it would probably take two or three months to actually get the rifle. I was blown away when my dealer called me and said he found some in stock (15), in Baton Rouge (Lipsey's). He had one held and it arrived in about 5 days. Dealer cost on it was less than $800.00. Hopefully, this might help anyone else who is interested in getting one.
I have not measured the weight of the trigger but would guess it to be around 5 pounds. It breaks crisply with very little creep - overall it really isn't that bad. I'm working on a red decelerator pad and a gentry barrel band as additions to the gun and hope to look over some scopes in Reno next week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard any additional information from Kimber and TC regarding their plans for LH rifles?
Looking for date, available chamberings, anything!
I really hope its true....especially from Kimber.

Ken

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Greetings from a Australian lefty.

Can anyone tell me what the LH Ruger Africa roughly costs over there in the states? I have a friend over here eagerly awaiting their arrival but is getting no information from the Australian distributor.

Cheers,

Ferret from Australia

Posts: 12 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 16 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I like the stock configuration of the new Hawkeye. I thought the 77-II stock was petty good but this is much better.
On another note, I am really excited to hear of a leftie in the TC Icon. I love the looks of that rifle and with a little luck, they'll give us a .308 LH model. I want it.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ferret:
Greetings from a Australian lefty.

Can anyone tell me what the LH Ruger Africa roughly costs over there in the states? I have a friend over here eagerly awaiting their arrival but is getting no information from the Australian distributor.

Ferret from Australia

Dealer in Alaska (Boondocks in Eagle River), has the left handed Africa for $899.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote