New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see I can buy a Springfield Loaded Model 1911 with an ambi safety. Is the mag release reversible like the one on my Beretta Model 84?

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
No, The magazine cutout for the release wouldn't work either.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg

I am right handed, and I have been shooting a 1911 since 1966.

Once upon a time @ the mid 1980's, I managed to injure my right hand to the extent that I could not shoot a handgun in it with out bad pain.

At the time I was shooting in indoor night IPSC Matches twice a week...

I did have a 1911 with an Ambi safety.

So, I borrowed a left hand holster from a left hand buddy.

The only problem I had was dropping the magazine with my left hand trigger finger. The magazine release spring was just too strong...

So I got a spare spring, and cut it down 1/2 coil at a time, until I could easily press the release button, droping the magazine.

This did not effect reliability in any way.
I never had a magazine drop free when I did not want it to.
When reloading after a slide lock back it was easy to press the slide release button with my left hand trigger finger.

If it is too hard to do that on your 1911, then just use the "Glock technique", and after inserting the magazine with your right hand, use it to pull back on the slide and release it.

I shot left handed for several months.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
However, I do seem to remember someone making an ambi magazine release for a 1911, I just cannot remember who it was, I will look in a couple of books I have...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh now I remember..

It was a shooting buddy...

Steve Alexander
SA Shooting Accessories, Inc.
PO Box 835790 Richardson, Texas
hone 214 231 6084

Not sure if he is still in business or not as I have not shot with him in several years.

You can also get extended mag releases, and mag realeases with larger buttons, but while I would use one if left handed on a match gun I would probably not use one on a carry/duty gun.

I think a standard release with the spring cut down a little is less likely to become accidently depressed, and I had no problem using it with my left hand trigger finger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I just won an auction for a Springfield Loaded Black Target model. Looking forward to trying it out.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bring back the Randall lefty .45! I wouldn't part with mine, which I bought new.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
I am a left handed shooter. I use an ambi safety, but just operate the magazine catch and slide release with my index finger. Try it, for me this method requires little shift of my grip, less than trying to use my thumb, when I shoot "weak hand".

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been shooting my Springfield left handed and no problems. I do have the ambi safety.

Fun gun to shoot, should have bought one a long time ago.

One of Us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted Hide Post
Springfields are great - so is their lifetime warranty . . . I once had a Tropy Match that was my first 1911 - had trouble with the adjustable sights slipping the dovetail and breaking off - tried to fix it three times locally and twice sending it to Springfield. Told them I'd lost confidence in the Trophy Match with the adjustable sights for personal defence. Told them had I known then what I know now, would have spent the extra $400 and bought a TRP (Tactical Response Pistol) with fixed sights. The said, send the Trophy Match in and we will send you a TRP - no additional charge. They did just that. Now my TRP has been well broken in - and sent to Ro-Bar for a full treatment - my best defense pistol in my arsenal. That's a real warranty story. Love Springfield.

Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Smith and Alexander is still around. Their ambi mag release is excellent, however I have practiced so long with the original, I guess I got past the need for it:
99.00 plus a 1.50 for a lighter spring

Their one piece mag well/MSH's are second to none in my opinion though.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote