New
Find
Notify
Tools

LH CZ 550 375 report
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just fired my new rifle for the first time yesterday. It seems like a hell of a piece of machinery. I think anyone owning one would be much more happy with it, though, to have that thing reshaped as it's pretty clubby. Starting to think maybe that is the rifle to put into a synthetic stock and use as the anything/anytime/anyplace rifle and leave the m70 30 06 to the walnut.

at any rate, pretty fun to shoot!

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Or send it to Wayne @ AHR. If it were mine, I would do "Upgrade #2" at the very least. You'll have a better functioning rifle. If your bent on glass then I'd do #2, but if you want wood then it would be #3 all the way.

Irregardless, congrats on your rifle & good shooting.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks! I've spoken to Wayne about their upgrade packages and they seem like a bargain for what you get in return.

in terms of synthetics, I've only identified Lone Wolf as an option since they make a LH big bore stock.

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
"Big bore stock"???? not sure if I understand that?!

I too am LH, I have a LH SS MRC in 375 H+H, I ordered a RH Win from Bansner Hi-Tech (my fave), and had the GS fill the bolt notch & make one for the LH side......presto, LH Big bore stock! It has pillars in it & is full length bedded.

Wayne (I think) also has a glass stock that he uses, and if I'm not mistaken, it is the same profile as the Wood stocks they make, which I also hear is a real good design/config. for Big bores......not that a 375 has much recoil, but you might wanna check into them too.

Cheers.

Rod

"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Don't put a piece of plastic on it. You can redo the wood yourself!

Then send it to Wayne for some upgrades. (That's what I did, except in reverse order).

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sevens,

a little detail please on how you did that.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
JSL,

That is actually the second attempt on redoing that stock. I refinished it once (posted on the big bore section), but decided I didn't like it so I redid it again, but with some more patience.

I removed the old finish and installed the grip cap (again). I got one as close to the size of the stock to minimize the amount of shaping I needed to do around the pistol grip. I then used various wood rasps to shape the areas around the grip cap, cheek piece (including shadow line), and forend. Next, I sanded the whole stock down to 320 grit and started adding a mixture of tung oil and an oil-based stain to give it a slight red tint (the photo above makes it look a little lighter than it really is). Couple more coats of tung oil and a final coat of finishing wax and I called it finished.

Being thorough and patient was really the hardest part for me. I have a tendency to get anxious and rush things which, as I learned on the first stock, can really mess things up. I tried to get myself to take a break and work on something else if I found myself rushing. Still, it has a few imperfections, but I'm happy with it and I feel I achieved my goal of an "express" style rifle. Wayne Jacobson at AHR did all the gunsmithing work (barrel band, straighten bolt, perfect feeding) and I highly recommend him.

Here's another photo. The color here is more correct with how it appears to the naked eye.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Al. That is excellent! There really is some nice wood underneath all of that factory gunk finish. I think I like the no foreend tip. Leupold scope? You mentioned it went to AHR? What again did they do for you?

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
JSL,

The scope is a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm. Got it sighted in last week and it worked great. I must say though, I prefer using the iron sights. Irons seem so much more "correct" on a big bore. Scope is in QD mounts to accommodate for that.

Wayne installed the barrel band sling swivel, straightened the bolt, and perfected the feeding. Wayne / AHR does first class work and I'll be sending the rifle back there for a few more upgrades as soon as I save up a little more spending cash.

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Nice work Sevens......do you happen to have a pic of the filled-in swivel stud hole on the stock?

What did you use/do to fill it in?

Rod

Bob Hagel

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
cmfic1,

I used Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler walnut color. You just fill the hole with it, let dry, and then sand and stain it like the rest of the stock. Unfortunately I don't have a picture. The color is fairly close, it just lacks the figuring and grain of the wood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I am confused. What is a picture of a RH CZ doing here when the topic is about the LH CZ and how to reshape the stock?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Ok, I am confused. What is a picture of a RH CZ doing here when the topic is about the LH CZ and how to reshape the stock?

Well, I went out today with the hack saw and a soldering torch - all fixed! dancing