New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left-hand 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd like to add a LH 375 H&H to my arsenal for an eventual Cape Buffalo hunt. Now that Winchester has gone belly up, are there any other factory offerings that don't cost an arm and a leg like a from scratch custom rifle? Preferably I'd like a CRF, so a Browning or Remington are probably out.

If I decide to have one built, what action do you recommend? Is it feasible to buy one of the more popular LH caliber offerings and have it re-chambered and re-barreled for 357 H&H. What caliber should I start with for this route? What kind of price would I be looking at for a re-chamber/re-barrel?

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Brownings. Lot of people don't They're available LH in 375, and they'll feed upside down.

You can convert a Model 70 in 7 mm RM to 375 H&H.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Also a .300Win Mag Ruger MKII can be converted to .375 H&H. High Tech Rifles in Colorado Springs, CO can do it easily. (And he's on the web).

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:
I like Brownings. Lot of people don't They're available LH in 375, and they'll feed upside down.

You can convert a Model 70 in 7 mm RM to 375 H&H.

H. C.

I would strongly suggest you check the cost of opening up a standard length Mod 70 action to the required size of a 375. Winchester built their 375 on a magnum length action. The same can be said for a Ruger. You would probably be money ahead to go ahead and pay the inflated prices for a factory Mod. 70 375 instead of modifying a standard mod. 70.
just my .02.
sbsmith

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I see a few M70's for sale now and then on the auction sites. I bought mine in October of 2004 after looking for one since 2002, when Winchester made their fall production run of lefty Classic Safaris. Except for as few that they assembled from parts that winter that was the last run the Winchester made so I'm glad I bought mine then.

Rather than a handmade full custom you might think about assembling one from off the shelf parts. The left handed Montana Rifle Co. long action will take the 375 H&H sized cartridges and you're looking at about $1500+ for that option.
Action -$550
Barrel -$250
Stock - $300 (Drop in Accurate Innovations from Rick at 24HrCampfire)
Gunsmithing - $350 or so for the barrel thread, chamber, crown, sights and mounting, etc.
Plus bluing if you don't go stainless.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rather than a handmade full custom you might think about assembling one from off the shelf parts. The left handed Montana Rifle Co. long action will take the 375 H&H sized cartridges and you're looking at about $1500+ for that option.
Action -$550
Barrel -$250
Stock - $300 (Drop in Accurate Innovations from Rick at 24HrCampfire)
Gunsmithing - $350 or so for the barrel thread, chamber, crown, sights and mounting, etc.
Plus bluing if you don't go stainless.

Thanks Fjold,
I think you just pointed me in the right direction. I might also build a new .25-06 going this route.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gsganzer:
Thanks Fjold,
I think you just pointed me in the right direction. I might also build a new .25-06 going this route.

I built a 6.5x284 this way and it's a hummer. I shot a 2.7", five shot group with it at 400 yards last weekend.

My next big bore will be built this way also.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a NIB LH M70 375 for sale in GUNLIST latest edition, came out yesterday. I think he was asking 1195, a fair price. Look under Left Hand Guns FOr Sale. Sorry I don't have the phone, I'm at the office.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I built a 6.5x284 this way and it's a hummer. I shot a 2.7", five shot group with it at 400 yards last weekend.

You got my interest stirred!! I noticed Montana Rifle sells barrelled actions. Do you recommend going this route, or do you think there's a better choice for the barrel?

I'm also impressed with the Accurate Inovations stocks.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gsganzer:
quote:

You got my interest stirred!! I noticed Montana Rifle sells barrelled actions. Do you recommend going this route, or do you think there's a better choice for the barrel?

I'm also impressed with the Accurate Inovations stocks.

I'll probably go the barelled action route if I can find the caliber and contour that I want.

I don't know whether to go with my heart and build a 404 Jeffrey or go with my head and build a 416 Mag.

I like my AI stock, it is a much better fit to the action than I expected. I put a little bedding compound on it and squeezed the stock down hard with surgical tubing and after cleaning up everything that got squeezed out all I had left was a smeared stain on the aluminum bedding block. There wasn't enough bedding compound left in there to do anything.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The email for the NIB M70 375 is Lance at 0874@sbcglobal.net. That's exactly how it appears in the ad. I assume "Lance at" is not part of the address. See my post of 6/15.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just saw a 375 H&H in the Gun List, NIB, for 1200. There is also one in Guns America for 1500. If you want to go custom go with the Granite Mt. action with drop box, holds 6 shells in the mag., I have two rifles (375 H&H, 458 Lott) built on these actions. Have had five Dakota's in times past, although mine were accurate, three out of five needed to be returned for problems.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MRC does sell barreled actions. I picked up a leftie in 458 Lott in ss for $900. Add $450 for a mickie stock and you are ready to add sights or a scope.
But the cheapest way to get a LH 375 is to rebarrel any LH 700 that was originally a 7mm mag, 300 mag, etc.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Here's the two list prices for blue and stainless barreled actions from MRC. For 257 Weatherby up through 458 Lott.

CCLM 4140 Chrome Moly Long Action, .534" Bolt Face, Left Hand, Magazine Lengths 3.400" or 3.650" 4140 Chrome Moly Barrel, length up to 26" Finished, $869.70

$969.70 w/blue

CSLM 415 Stainless Steel Long Action, .534" Bolt Face, Left Hand, Magazine Lengths 3.400" or 3.650" Stainless Steel Barrel, length up to 26" Finished, $967.60

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

CCLM 4140 Chrome Moly Long Action, .534" Bolt Face, Left Hand, Magazine Lengths 3.400" or 3.650" 4140 Chrome Moly Barrel, length up to 26" Finished, $869.70

$969.70 w/blue

I'm looking into this option. I'm tempted to buy it "in the white". That way I can polish and machine it some more if it needs any refining. I'm getting mixed answers on how "finished" these actions are. Have you bought any that have been finished by MRC?

I'm busy clipping pictures of rifles and putting together my wish list for this gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 458 Lott MRC was just received last month. I can't comment on how it feeds or shoots since I am still waiting for my stock to arrive. But the fit and finish is very good. I posted some photos of it on the big bore forum awhile back. Bolt travel is smooth and trigger is nicely done. I am very pleased with it so far. If you want a hunting rifle they are great. I could care less about "deluxe" polishing. I think it only took 12 weeks to receive it after I placed the order.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,
Did you get the stainless or chrome moly?

I'm thinking about the chrome moly with a #5 barrel. I'm debating on whether I want to flute the barrel. A fluted barrel isn't real popular on a big bore or DGR, but it does trim a little weight and make for a stiffer barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the ss with #5 contour, 24 inches.