THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    2 out of 3 Left Eye dominant

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 out of 3 Left Eye dominant
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
Met 3 new shooters yesterday and 2 of 3 were left eye dominant and were shooting right handed. Neither would try left handed altho the girl "Couldn't see the target" with her right eye closed. Anyone here been successful training a righty to shoot lefty?
(BTW, I'm right handed and left eyed and shoot either, but left better)

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also right handed but left eye dominate. The first time I shot a 22 I couldn't hit anything so the guy at the range said try it left handed. It felt natural and I started hitting things. Don't know why people will not take good advice.

Posts: 55 | Location: Gretna,NE | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Most folks assume that if you are Left Handed, then you shoot that way. Same for a RH person. I am RH but Left eye Dominant. My daughter is Left handed and Right Eye dominant. Guess it just all depends on how you were taught to shoot. Best way to figure it out is to give a kid a BB gun and let them shoot what ever way the like....they will figure it out!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My middle daughter is left eye dominant and right handed. She shoots rifles and shotguns left handed but shoots pistols right handed (using her left eye).

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am left handed and right eye dominant. Not much trouble shooting rifles but shotgunning isn't a whole lot of fun other than the fact I like to shoot them regardless of hit percentage.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a 4-H shooting sports advisor. It can be hard getting kids AND the parents to understand the importance of shooting with the dominate eye.

One time I had a 14 year old boy when I told him he should shoot left handed tell me "I have been shooting right handed too long to change." In time he turned out to be a good rifle shot(made very slow progress). He gave up shooting shotguns and archery.

Posts: 2393 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While it doesn't work every time, one simple solution to the cross dominance problem is to place a piece of scotch tape on the lens of the shooting glasses over the dominant eye. It may take a while but it will force the other eye to take dominance for the purpose of acquiring a sight picture. I have seen it done more with shotgunners than rifle shooters but it may work for some shooters.

I used to cringe when I was running the gun counter at a large sporting goods store and I would see young shooters shouldering a rifle and craning their neck over the stock to use the opposite eye. I encouraged one father to have his son try either the tape trick or shooting from the left shoulder (left eye dominant case). The dad said "he shoots his 22 just fine this way". I tried to explain that the 270 he was about to buy for his kid was going to most likely smack the kid fairly sharply with his head laid over the stock trying to get a sight picture with the left eye and the rifle on the right shoulder. The father, obviously knowing far more than me about shooting, assured me that his kid would be fine and would get used to it. I never did see them again as I went on to another job but always wondered how that kid made out.

Fortunately I am left handed and left eye dominant.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
I am left handed and right eye dominant. Scoped rifles and handguns have never been a problem. But shotgun shooting I need to close my right eye unless the doves are at spitting distance and it is a snap shot. Aimed shotgun shots at distant birds only works if i close one eye.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi everybody, I am left handed and right eye dominant,but can't shoot right handed due to a physical problem. Since I bought an ''Aimpoint'' I have never looked back. You shoot an aimpoint with both eyes open and the red dot ''appears'' in the sight picture, and you can see 100% field of view. I have not tried it on my shotgun, but can't see why it would not work.Just my thoughts from recent experience. Regards Dhufish.

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
The wife is deadly with a pistol. She wanted to try sitting in the blind with me and maybe shoot a deer. Hit the target spot-on (right-handed). "Want to shoot again?" "No." Fine. First day. Nice hill country buck. Boom. Buck does the "what the hell was that?" look. Boom. Same look, trots off. No blood. Second day (a couple of weeks later). Different nice buck. Boom. Same look. Trots off.

I do the dominant eye test. Sure 'nuff, left-eye dominant. Two attempts at hubby teaching left-handed shooting, then peace accords are signed. She's fine with not hunting. Marriage survives. Hoorah.

"Anyone here been successful training a righty to shoot lefty?" Put me down for 1 "No".

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter is right hand but left eye dominant..When she switched to left hand shooting, she did much better. As a 4-h coach, some will change, but others are resistant. A few shoot well regardless. For myself, I do not have a consistant eye dominance, no matter which method of determination is used. As a result, while I prefer left hand with a firearm, I can shoot well right handed, and only shoot archery right handed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am right handed and left eye dominant, not only that all my firearms are right handed, bolt action etc. tu2

One of Us
Picture of JC375
posted Hide Post
When I was a boy an old Florida Cracker ( a Florida Cowboy ) told me to switch to my left. I have been shooting that way every since. My son is a natual lefthander but his Mother has forced him to be a right hander. He is left eye dominate like Dad and shoots well lefthanded and dose the rest righty or both to keep Mom happy. The daughter is righty all the way and shoots great. The wife is left eye dominate but wants to shoot righty and dose pretty good. I would recommend to shoot on the side of the dominate eye. All these things are just skills that have to be practiced.

Posts: 102 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
I think it's easier for left-handed people who are right eye dominant to shoot right handed, than it is for righthanders with left-dominant eyes to shoot left handed.

Did that make any sense? Confusing just to type it!

What I mean is: I believe left-handers can cross over much easier; we've always had to - just think of the sissors in grade school (the right handed sissors were the only good ones; left-handed sissors were 40 years old and dull as spoons!).

Consider the mouse at your computer...probably set up for the right hand, no?

Think of the controls in your auto. About the only thing for the left hand is the turnsignal and power window buttons.

My point in all this is: start the kids early shooting on the same side as their dominant eye. This will be easier for lefties who have to cross over, but righties can do it too! nilly hilbily

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote