Find
Notify
Tools

LH 788 find
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted
Went to a really good gun show in Tulsa today and found a very clean LH 788 in .308 Win. I've been seeking a platform for a re-barrel project to a .260 Remington and I'll ask you guys if you think this is a good donor. I had previously planned on using a T3 Tikka but found the threads are metric and my 'smith can't deal with metric threads. Frowner

So what do you think guys? Should I use this 788 or get a different donor. If I don't use this one, it will be listed for sale, if that makes any difference to anyone.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
In my opinion you would be better off getting a M700 SA for your project. The 788 were known to be accurate rifles however the rear locking lugs may not give you the ultimate potential of the regular 700 action. I also believe the 788 is a clip fed rifle? This will limit you on COL for the new rifle. In any event sounds like you had a good find. It may be more valuable in its current condition.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
It may be more valuable in its current condition.
Since you bid $930 on that WSM, you ought to know. homer

Posts: 242 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
You're right, the 788 is clip-fed and COL is a concern but only if you use bullet weights over 140gr.
I haven't ruled out a SA 700 action or other maker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned two LH 788's. One was rebarreled to .243 Imp and accounted for a couple of sheep. The other was a .308 and didnt see much hunting. Both were reasonably accurate but they were clunky to operate and not very smooth. The trigger was held in place with one pin and on one of my rifles this piece of metal holding the pin broke off and several smiths tried to reweld, solder on the piece with unsatisfactory results.
To be honest I never did understand the "cult" following of these rifles. I am with Roscoe on this and think you will be better off starting with a 700 action. You can find parts for the 700. Parts for the 788 and difficult to find.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Ah, the parts issue is one I had not given much thought to. They are clunky and not smooth, although they do shoot well.
you've helped. I think I'll sell it and use a different donor.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Ahhh.....

More from my little buddy Jackie…..

Nature not content with denying him the ability to think, has endowed him with the ability to Type. Ordinarily he is insane. But he has lucid moments when he is only stupid. What he is lacking in intelligence, he more than makes up for in stupidity. Little man…A sharp tongue is no indication of a keen mind. You are so boring that you can't even entertain a doubt. I don't know what makes you so dumb but it really works. Don't you realize that there are enough people to hate in the world already, without your putting in so much effort to give us another? Grasp your ears firmly and pull; you might just be able to remove your head from you ass.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ahhh.....

More from my little buddy Jackie…..

Nature not content with denying him the ability to think, has endowed him with the ability to Type. Ordinarily he is insane. But he has lucid moments when he is only stupid. What he is lacking in intelligence, he more than makes up for in stupidity. Little man…A sharp tongue is no indication of a keen mind. You are so boring that you can't even entertain a doubt. I don't know what makes you so dumb but it really works. Don't you realize that there are enough people to hate in the world already, without your putting in so much effort to give us another? Grasp your ears firmly and pull; you might just be able to remove your head from you ass.
What in the holy hell are you blathering about now? You thought you set a precedent for left-handed Model 70 pricing by bidding on -- and winning -- a .270 WSM Model 70. (ROSCOE's GREAT BUY!!!) And since you're something of an arbiter of all things stupid, you're in a pretty unique position to establish the value of left-handed Model 788s.

Posts: 242 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Jackie, you are un likeable. Go away.

Posts: 9207 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Cliff,

If you decide to part with the 788 I'd be interested.

Posts: 9207 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Jackie, you are un likeable. Go away.
That's not what your wife said. homer

posted Hide Post
Jackie,

You are skating on thin ice. Stop your petty sniping.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Jackie,

You are skating on thin ice. Stop your petty sniping.

George
Petty? Eeker I'm disappointed that you think that of me. Frowner Does this mean ROSCOE isn't an authority on left-handed firearms pricing? Confused I honestly thought that he was, hence my interest in his post and this thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To get back on topic, I think Roscoe has a good take on the topic.

Every 788 I've ever fooled with has been very accurate. Many people claim it was because of the rifle's exceptionally short lock time. Whatever the reason, most 788's are great knock about rifles.

However, they are clunky and unwieldy when compared to a nice 700 in a mountain rifle stock.

I'd look for a SA 700. Hold on to the 788 a few years. Right now the LH versions command a premium around here. 10 years from now, you might be able to make enough to pay for your rifle project.

Ken

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my opinion you would be better off getting a M700 SA for your project. The 788 were known to be accurate rifles however the rear locking lugs may not give you the ultimate potential of the regular 700 action. I also believe the 788 is a clip fed rifle? This will limit you on COL for the new rifle. In any event sounds like you had a good find. It may be more valuable in its current condition.

+1. Your comment is dead on. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote