New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leftie scope covers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought I would share some experiences with left-hand friendly scope covers, and wonder what everyone else uses. The Butler Creek covers are, of course, right handed, so your bolt runs into the opening apparatus, unless your rotate it and that's pretty obnoxious and basically doesn't work. You can always use an objective cover on the eyepiece, such as the Butler Creek Blizzard covers. They are ambidexterous and the neat thing is when mounted low enough, cycling your bolt opens the cover. I've also used the old tire inter-tube cover, which is great because if you drop it out on a hillside somewhere, you're not out any money. Does anyone else have any neat methods? I know someone in the lefty world does, we are the creative thinkers of the world Big Grin

Posts: 90 | Location: Where the rivers run north...MT | Registered: 09 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the Butler Creek pop-open covers on at least one scope; I rotate the rear cover so that the 'button' is over the bolt shroud and opens out of the way.

Generally, I use the bikini covers or the Uncle Mike's flip-off covers.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I just don't use scope caps, or if it's mission-critical, I'll submit to the Butler Creek Blizzard caps, as they aren't as obtrusive as their other flip-ups. You can also see through them, so they work in a flash.

No caps hasn't been an issue so far. Knock wood!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i used to use the butler creek covers but i got tired of loseing them . i only use devtron scopecoats now ,a stretch soft cover that covers the entire scope. easy to remove on rainy days and they give your whole scope protection. really nice for carrying a gun around in my truck. natchez has them for 10.00 each which is the best price you'll find

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to do things the do-it-yourself way when I get a chance, and the tire-intertube cover seems to work just as well as the expensive full scope covers I've seen. I notice Leupold is now shipping some scopes with similar covers, though they have a giant LEUPOLD emblem proudly emblazoned for everyone to see. I always use some form of scope cover, as Southeast MT can sure be a dusty place, and a couple hours spent bumping around the hills in an old Suburban can pretty well coat your lenses, let alone leaving a rifle in a gun-rack for months on end, and when you pull it down to shoot a coyote it's sure nice to be able to see through your lenses!

Posts: 90 | Location: Where the rivers run north...MT | Registered: 09 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prairiegoat:
I tend to do things the do-it-yourself way when I get a chance, and the tire-intertube cover seems to work just as well as the expensive full scope covers I've seen.

Ditto's prairiegoat.
I can honestly say, I've tried them all from Africa to Alaska and the tire-intertube is king IMO. If you lose it or cut it on rocks or branches, grap another one at home or at camp. It is very compact in the pocket also.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote