THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    What caliber for a left hand mauser mountain rifle?

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caliber for a left hand mauser mountain rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted
I have one more left handed mauser action that I want to have GAry Stiles built a custom rifle on. I already have a BEAUTIFUL left handed 35 whelen he made for me. The next rifle I intend to use as a light weight, standard action, mountain rifle. Very slim & classic lines. Built similar to the old Mauser pattern "B"s but updated so it's stock will accommodate scope usage. I have been back & forth on what caliber to use. I want Gary to get started so I need to decide soon.

Here is an example of one that GAry made on a military action. Still in the white. I intend to go with the half octagon & half round barrel. It will be 22" long.

Question:
What caliber would you choose for a custom left handed mountain rifle?

Choices:
7x57
6.5x55
30-06

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Go with the 6.5.....you will not be sorry thumb

It will be perfect with the 22" barrel you want and be a great companion to the 35 Whelen you already have. There is nothing wrong with the 7x57...hell I love it to. But since you already have a rifle for the big stuff, the sweed will give you all you need in a small bore rifle.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I voted for the .280 because you may want some extra versatility in that mountain rifle.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote was 7.57.
But it might have changed if I knew what game you would be hunting. Clearly if you need more power the 06 would be a little better...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote because it depends upon the game hunted and distances shot but I like either a 257 Rob, 6.5x55 or the 7x57.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
I voted 280 since its so versatile, but you only gave good options and probably decide right no matter what we do.

7*57 is the classic of classics, and very good

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
since you don't live in scandinavia i would definately go with the .257Wby, but that one is not on your list... Roll Eyes

so my vote goes to the .270(or .280 if you want something more unusual).
for a dedicated mountain rifle(flat trajectory?) my last pick would be the metrics, they just cant compete with the velocity of the other three.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
This rifle will be used mostly for deer hunting. The longest shots I get where I hunt tend to be right under 300 yards. Most of my shots are well under that. If I were ever lucky enough to draw a Colorado sheep tag I MIGHT take this rifle along. I elk hunt where the sheep are and the area is pretty rugged. I'd hate to beat up a custom rifle that way! But who knows. Even at that, shots at sheep would still be at 300 yards or under.

I already have enough magnums. I will keep this rifle a standard bolt face. I already have the first action turned into a 35 whelen. That will cover any black bear or elk hunting I want to do.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.270 or .280. Flip the coin and decide.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
280 is my pick as well. I have basically retired my 270, 7mm Rem Mag & 300 Wthby Mag in favor of my 280 as my all around gun.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going with a custom rifle, do a 280 Ackley

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5x06?

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I went with the 7x57 as it's a great match for your 6.5x55 Gary did for you.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:

The 6.5x55 belongs to ROSCOE, not me...........but I'd be glad to take it t off his hands if he wishes Big Grin

Looks like a toss up between the 7x57 & the 280..............which is about where I stood when I asked this question. Looks like I still have a choice to make! I will decide by the end of the month. In teh mean time I will enjoy reading everyones input.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Ohh, my bad. I don't think there's a bad choice except buying ammo in small towns. That would be in the 280's favor, I would think.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iron Buck:
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:

The 6.5x55 belongs to ROSCOE, not me...........but I'd be glad to take it t off his hands if he wishes Big Grin

No chance there my friend...that little 6.5 will get some shooting time this fall. Back to your choice. Both the 280 and the 7x57 are fine cartriges...you can't go wrong with either. If you order the 7x57 Gary will chamber it such that you will be able to seat bullets out and take full advantage of the larger magazine on this action. The difference between the two will be minor.
Having said that...I still think the 6.5 is the best choice. You could shoot the same weight bullets as the 7mm but get the BC of the 6.5 rounds. Or go down to 120 grain for deer and such.

Just for fun...here is what they look like.

L to R 6.5x55, 7x57, 7x65R, 280 Rem

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5-284!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Iron....

I didn't vote since I didn't see the cartridge on the poll that I consider the perfect match for your L/H Mauser. Your listed cartridges are certainly a good batch though.....anyway, you asked:

7x64 Brenneke

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x64mm is about perfect for a mountain rifle. Lots of power, good bullet selection, classy cartridge.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
IronBuck---I don't care what caliber you get as long as I can borrow it. I'm sending in my sheep application tomorrow. With a little luck I'll need the rifle for 8/23. I'm requesting you schedule your vaction also at that time so you can play cherpa.

Mtn Rifle=Sheep Hunting=Jack O'Connor=270 Win. CB

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

sounds good Bob! If you draw..I am there dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
another 280 vote

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CLK320:
6.5-284!

+1

Albeit not with the same pedigree as your upcoming project.....an ultralight 6.5-.284 will be my next standard centerfire rifle.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote