New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on LH Zastava 98
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have located a LH Zastava 98 action with a mag bolt face that I am thinking of using for my next project.

Appreciate views & opinions, good or bad, about this action.

Advice on who makes a stock to fit this action is also welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Good on Ya, I'd love to have one with a Magnum bolt face; my next project would then be a .416 Taylor, open sights; no scope.

Big Grin

I purchased a complete L/H Zastava rifle. Rough as a cob but the price was definately right and I really wanted the L/H standard Mauser-type action anyway and didn't need another .30/06 Sprg.

The useless stock went into the fireplace at the hunting cabin and the action & barrel went to my "Smith" after I did alot of polishing.

He turned it into a magnificent 9.3x62 with all the bells & whistles; barrel band front sight & single blade fixed rear sight on a short (20") medium-heavy sporter barrel.

The stock was now an issue; should I order wood and have one made or go synthetic? Elected the synthetic route and ordered a Bell & Carlson Carbalite Mauser stock; cut off the offending right hand action bits & pieces and re-built the action area into L/H with Steel-Bed, glass-bedded the action, added a L/H palm-swell and a few other small details and a coat or two of spray-paint. Resulted in an attractive, functional, synthetic stock - including materials & my labor (VERY cheap!) for less than $200.00

Net, a good, fun, much less expensive than the Custom route project resulting in an extremely functional, accurate L/H rifle on a Mauser-based action - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Zastava action to any L/Her as a project Donor.

I don't know anyone right off the top of my head for a ready-made Zastava L/H stock but I'm sure American Gunstocks, Richards Microfit, Elk Ridge and a coupla others could accomodate for wood and probably McMillan or another upscale synthetic manufacturer for plastic.

Hope you make some progress on your proposed project.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two of the complete LH Zastava Mauser rifles in 30-06 and two of the actions (standard bolt face). The complete rifles are nicely polished and blued. I like the stocks okay, too, though they're high gloss with some white-line spacers.

I haven't completed the projects with the in-the-white actions yet, but they look pretty good. They're not smooth cycling like a Remington or Winchester, or like a 70 year old Mauser, but I sort of expected that they wouldn't be. My new CZ's aren't smooth-cycling either. I imagine I'll polish the raceways and be able to smooth them up. I think the Zastavas are a good value for the money.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoops, and on stocks:

I had two stocks cut by Ed Shulin in Trinidad CO. They're cut off a RH pattern with a cheek piece screwed on the opposite side. He left the wood where there'd normally be a cutout for the bolt handle, the ejection port, and the bolt release, so there'll be some work to finish inletting. FYI.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I read through earlier posts on this action and doubts were raised on the quality. I have seen some RH actions and to my unqualified eyes, quality seemed to be fine. They wernt as rough as I had expected. I've seen CZ's that were much rougher.

However as you guys appreciate lefties dont have too many options. Besides I wont be doing anything to weaken the integrity of the action.

Gerry - in case you have picked this up, Ruger are rumoured to be bringing out a 416 Ruger which might be worth considering instead of the 416 Taylor.

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Good on Ya, Mate!

416 Ruger would definately be an option; although I've seen rumor (on these pages as well!) that CZ is suppoesd to be considering L/H 416 Rigby for us Port-Siders.

Bottom line for me is: Who ever makes the first reasonably-priced, complete, over .40 caliber chambered rifle for less than the the price of a new, very upscale car will most probably get my business.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:

The useless stock went into the fireplace at the hunting cabin and the action & barrel went to my "Smith" after I did alot of polishing.

This was last weekends project with my CD stock. I too did not like the design so with the aid of a rasp and some sand paper...I now have a stock that will get some field time this year!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,

Very nice looking refinishing job on your CD stock. If mine coulda been saved to look anywhere near a good as yours I'd have considered it........sorrily not so.

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Good actions. I sold my last one to Postdriver, and he is having Sterling Davenport make a very nice 416 out of it. I hope to see it soon.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shhh, Ed ! ... and I hope to see it soon, too.

Uh, if anyone has one of those nasty left-handed Charles Daly rifles or actions they're considering placing in the local landfill, I'm now offering a recycling service. I'll even pay you for the opportunity Smiler .

Seriously, I'd like to find two more of these actions or rifles. Sterling decided that I need a .300 H&H and a .270 Win. (but I'm holding out for a .275 Rigby Smiler ).

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote