THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Pump or Auto Slug Gun for the Lefty

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pump or Auto Slug Gun for the Lefty
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I am a lefty, but shoot right handed, however, my good friend shoots left handed and wants a true lefty pump or auto with a rifled slug barrel. It can be either 20 ga or 12 ga....what do you recommend?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I am not aware of any LH Slug gun ever being made. Your freinds best bet may be to get a single shot slug gun.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

My sugesstion for your LH friend is either a Remingtom 870 Wingmaster - Pump, a Remington 11-87 - Autoloader or perhaps the odd Remington 1100 autoloader. All three were/are offered in complete Left-Handed 12 gauge versions and there are even some 20 gauges about if you're lucky enough to stumble onto one. Another option is the Browning Pump which is a sorta ambidextrous shotgun, neither a complete Right or Left version but ejects downwards. Quite frankly I'm not up to date on Browning's barrel offerings in this shotgun though.

I have a L/H Remington 870 & 1100 anf use them extensively but have never had the requirement to have to use a dedicated Slug Gun with a fully rifled shotgun barrel.

The fully rifled barrel - that's gonna be the difficult part. I'd try Remington as a start - they may have a one or two of something laying about and my Customer Service experience with Remington has been very positive over the years. If not, the only one I know who may go the Custom barreled route could be Hasting's Barrels. If that all fails the only option remaining is the 870 Pump for which there are a good number of 12 gauge 20" open sighted barrels out here on the market but I don't recall if they are fully rifled.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Benelli or Remington 11-87.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
If your friend is looking for a slug only gun a used Ithaca is a good choice. The model 37/87 has a rifled barrel that is screwed into the receiver. The stock has a raised comb and a drilled and tapped receiver.
John

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:

My sugesstion for your LH friend is either a Remingtom 870 Wingmaster - Pump, a Remington 11-87 - Autoloader or perhaps the odd Remington 1100 autoloader. All three were/are offered in complete Left-Handed 12 gauge versions and there are even some 20 gauges about if you're lucky enough to stumble onto one. Another option is the Browning Pump which is a sorta ambidextrous shotgun, neither a complete Right or Left version but ejects downwards. Quite frankly I'm not up to date on Browning's barrel offerings in this shotgun though.

I have a L/H Remington 870 & 1100 anf use them extensively but have never had the requirement to have to use a dedicated Slug Gun with a fully rifled shotgun barrel.

The fully rifled barrel - that's gonna be the difficult part. I'd try Remington as a start - they may have a one or two of something laying about and my Customer Service experience with Remington has been very positive over the years. If not, the only one I know who may go the Custom barreled route could be Hasting's Barrels. If that all fails the only option remaining is the 870 Pump for which there are a good number of 12 gauge 20" open sighted barrels out here on the market but I don't recall if they are fully rifled.

Good Luck.

Only the 870 Express was ever made with a rifled barrel as per Remington and it was a special issue for a distributor. I saw one but it sold fast and has never seen another.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am lefty and find Mosburg shotguns with their tang safeties to be fine.

I have one set up for slugs with a rifled barrel and it shoots Lightfeild slugs very well. I have another 835 I use for miserable condition duck and goose hunting (in other words when the hunting is going to be good!) and its been hanging in their for a couple of decades.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Talk with the Tar-Hunt folks, they offered at one time the 870 set up with the pinned barrels that went a long way to improving accuracy,,their bolt guns are top notch

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ithaca 37 would be my choice. Only issue is the safety is on the trigger, for a righty-but they did make left handed safeties and I see them pop up on ebay often. I have a half dozen Ithacas, all with installed left handed safeties-except my deer gun. Never felt the need to have quick access to the safety when hunting deer.

Posts: 156 | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a question that is on topic - sort of.

What do you all consider good accuracy with a pinned or screw on barrel.

My Mossburg shoots 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards with the Lightfield ammo. The set up is the cantilever scope mount with a Leupold 1x4. I'm so happy with this ammo and its performance on deer I've never tried any other.

I had an Ithaca with a screw on barrel but the trigger was so poor that shooting well was an accident and I gave it to a good friend. Also, I hated the safety and couldn't find a conversion.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trigger on the 37 is the weak spot. I am told that it can be fixed. I plan on having it address after this season. My gun will do 2 1/2 at 100 yards with the old BRI's. I have not run the newer style slugs thru it yet.
John

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning BPS is a good way to go. Since it is bottom eject, all the models work for right- and left-handers. I really like mine, and to me it balances better than any other pump I've handled.