THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Montana Rifle Company guns?

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Rifle Company guns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just discovered that I can get a complete lefty gun that is loosely based on the pre-64 M70 and the 98 Mauser for around $1000. Does anyone here have any experience with these guns? That sounds like a reasonable price if the guns are any good.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I think they make a decent product. They can be nice with a little custom work but are comparable to most factory guns out of the box. One downside is the are a bit heavy IMO. For a lefty they make a good option for a CRF rifle.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
I have 3 LH rifles (358 Norma, 375 H+H & a 458 Lott) built on them & another action with the RUM boltface that I was set to have made into a 404J, but think I will end up going GMA for that one.

With that being said, remember, THEY ARE NOT A GMA or any other comparable for that matter. What they are is an action that needs a anywhere between a little "cleaning up" to alot by a competant 'smith, do a little trigger & feeding work & you will be good to go.
It wont be a GMA but it will do what you want done.
I like them good enough, and are very similar to the Mod 70 which I highly like....they give us an alternate to trying to find a decent action to have something to build on, without paying through the ass to do it.

What did you find?

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a a left handed, stainless short action from their initial run (It's serial number 5). I built it into a long range gun and regularly shoot it in 1,000 yard F class matches.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What did you find?

Not a specific gun, just their website with prices listed.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
elkins,

for what it's worth, have a look at the big bore forum and the montana ph action thread. the guy who owns the company posts as mtj. see what kind of a businessperson you think he is before giving your money.

jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There haven't been very many LH Montana 1999 actions produced since they were announced a dozen or so years ago, so the statistical sample is too small to come to a conclusion.

They were not offered as a ready-to-build product. They were offered as a starting point for a gunsmith to build a rifle upon, and would require surface grinding, truing, etc.

Based on that, you could look for a Charles Daly Zastava or Remington 798 LH rifle and build from there, too.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two of their SS short barreled actions and I like them alot. One is in 376 Steyr with one of their #4 barrels and the other is in 300WSM with a #3 barrel and I do not think they are heavy for what they are. I have a NIB custom shop Winchester in 300 WSM also with a 24 inch barrel and I think it weighs more that my Montana Arms rifle. Both of my rifles are smooth and the 376 was built in 2005.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
I have a lefty 300WSM. The action and barrel are from MRC. Mcmillan stock Great rifle

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
My 404 Jeffery is on a MRC LH barreled action. I dont have any other customs to compare it to, but it feeds great, is as smooth as any of my factory rifles and is one of the most accurate rifles I own.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote