Find
Notify
Tools

LH Model 70 -416 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted
Mark Penrod is building me a 416 REM. His work (as usual) is terrific D'Arcy Echols Legend LH Stock, Kreiger barrel, Williams Bottom Metal, PME extractor, talley rings, etc. This is a rifle that he made me previously, and I have used before in Africa - I'm getting a few new things done.

pre-64 type tang, checkered bolt release-

3-panel checkered bolt knob - recountoured and angle changed

New England Gun Iron Sights - stippled to cut glare when blued-

All edges smoothed. Should be nice - can't wait to get it back!

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Looks great...should be a fine rifle once complete. I will be curious to hear your thoughts on the stock.

R

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of x-ring
posted Hide Post
Man-o-man!!!

Does it make you feel pretty? (don't worry guys--he's my pal).

RECTUM NON BUSTUS

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice rifle!

It reminds me that I need a 40+ caliber.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12586 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Un believable! The action choice is terrible, the barrel almost guaranteed to be in accurate, the caliber choice in efficient if not dangerous, that stock looks like a piece of framing material, what in the world were you thinking?!!!!!!

I'll give you anything you want for it. Just name it.

Posts: 9206 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x-ring:
Man-o-man!!!

I think you're still giving us too much information. shocker

Posts: 242 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
That's a damn fine specimen! I've seen and shot Penrod's work before, and it's something to behold. There's just something about TOTAL attention to detail that gets my blood pumping! Enjoy it in good health. Smiler

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model 70? If so was it originally a 375 H&H?
Either way its sweet! Is the barrel in the white? Stainless?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Model 70? If so was it originally a 375 H&H?
Either way its sweet! Is the barrel in the white? Stainless?

It used to be a 375HH - I used it that way for my first safari - then I had it rebarreled to a 416 Remington. It has a Kreiger CM barrel - the bluing had to be removed to solder the iron sights on it. It will be reblued either this week or next week.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:
quote:
Man-o-man!!!

My friend Jim, my wife and I laugh everytime we have seen that Cadillac commercial where the new Caddy makes the guy "feel pretty". At least their commercial with the chick says "does it turn you on when you turn it on?".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Alexander:
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:
quote:
Man-o-man!!!

My friend Jim, my wife and I laugh everytime we have seen that Cadillac commercial where the new Caddy makes the guy "feel pretty". At least their commercial with the chick says "does it turn you on when you turn it on?".
What a man, a woman, a midget, and a donkey do in their own home.....needs to stay there!!!!!!!

As for the rifle, when's the finished product supposed to be completed?

Posts: 242 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will it hold 3 or 4 down? If 4, what did you need to accomplish?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3 down.

One of Us
Picture of JC375
posted Hide Post
Jeff, I am gathering the pieces for a project almost identical to yours. Tell us about you choice of for the rear site. Why the step up to the 416?

Posts: 102 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, a 416 justs hits a little harder than a 375. It is about the limit of recoil for me. I've shot a 458 Lott and don't care for the recoil. I can shoot a whole box of 416s with no problem.

I shot the buff <-- pictured there with a 416, and it sounded like it was hit with a 2x4. Make a nice WHACK Big Grin

The rear sight is a New England Guns base which the bottom was removed, because the biggest one they made would not go around the countour of my barrel. The insert is machined oversize, and I had to shoot it 5 times to regulate it for 400g bullets at 50 yards. It is non-adjustable, sort of like a double rifle, however, I can get other inserts made for different ranges or different loads.

To be honest, I've never shot any dangerous game open sights. I've always had a Leupold 1.5-6 that I used even at 25 yards.

To my eyes, a dangerous game rifle doesn't look the part though without iron sights....and they are great backup.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, amen on the 416 choice. There is little doubt about the objective difference of shock the 416 has over a 375 on dangerous game. I had my M70 375 bored out by Danny Pederson and rechambered to 416. To me, the stock Win. M70 375 was too heavy for caliber anyway (9.25lbs), now the rifle is balanced nicely at 8.75lbs and balance wise actually feels like one of my double rifles

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote