THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    We'll see what's under the tree for lefties in January from Ruger

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We'll see what's under the tree for lefties in January from Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
No, Ruger is not going to make any Lt. handed RSM's but with the intro of the Ruger 416 we'll see if we finally have a factory CRF lefthanded medium-big bore in the Ruger 416. I love my Ruger 375 African, of course I had to dabble with the barrel length (which was fine to begin with), stock and metal finish. Cut and crowned the barrel to 21inches, NECG banded swivel + banded front sight, NP3 coated, McMillan stock, if should be completed in three months (waiting for the stock) I'll post some pics with it in the wood stock next month. It will be ready for Alaska anyway.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your modified 'African' sounds like a nice rig, Dirk. I may go a similar route eventually.

Look forward to photos.

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I'm moderately interested in this rifle. I'm all over the caliber, but barring any changes I haven't seen, I think the standard M77 Hawkeye will not be the correct big-bore proportions. IMO, I already think the 375 Ruger in a Hawkeye is way to trim and light for something that powerful, let alone a bigger, nastier 416.

I might be jumping the gun, so I'll reserve my final judgment for when the rifles hit the shelves and I can molest one.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
I think the standard M77 Hawkeye will not be the correct big-bore proportions. IMO, I already think the 375 Ruger in a Hawkeye is way to trim and light for something that powerful, let alone a bigger, nastier 416.

I might be jumping the gun, so I'll reserve my final judgment for when the rifles hit the shelves and I can molest one.

No doubt the weight of the 375 is on the light side for most folk. In fact the stock that I am having McMillan make is adding some mag-flux (around the action) making the synthetic stock close to a half pound more than the factory one but I also cut off close to a quarter of a pound off of the barrel. The rifle should balance nicely. If they do make the 416 a nice weight IMO would be at least 9 lbs.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Say fellas, if I remember correctly there's an outfit in the Dakota's that re bores rifles?

Have any of you thought about sending the African model to them to be roto rooted out to 416? Dirk, maybe you remember I have the LH same as you and was thinking about doing this.

Posts: 9211 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Say fellas, if I remember correctly there's an outfit in the Dakota's that re bores rifles?

Have any of you thought about sending the African model to them to be roto rooted out to 416? Dirk, maybe you remember I have the LH same as you and was thinking about doing this.

Scott,
Danny Pederson with Classic Barrel & Gunworks in Pescott AZ does a fine job of re-boring rifles. The problem that would arise for me is having a 416 weighing 6.5-7 lbs. Of course you could add lead in the right places of the stock but I personally despise adding lead to anything, so I would just rebarrel a 375 with a medium-heavy barrel.

Dirk

One of Us
posted Hide Post
z-hat custom rifles in casper wyoming does reboring jobs as well.

Posts: 90 | Location: Where the rivers run north...MT | Registered: 09 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

Scott,
Danny Pederson with Classic Barrel & Gunworks in Pescott AZ does a fine job of re-boring rifles. The problem that would arise for me is having a 416 weighing 6.5-7 lbs. Of course you could add lead in the right places of the stock but I personally despise adding lead to anything, so I would just rebarrel a 375 with a medium-heavy barrel.

Dirk

So Dirk, you're saying you'd see as a better option re barreling the same african action and stock with a heavier barrel to 416?

Just curious and interested. Thanks much.

Posts: 9211 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote