THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Question regarding LH double rifle

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question regarding LH double rifle
 Login/Join

posted
If you have a left-hand double rifle, were the triggers reversed so that the front trigger fire the left barrel and the rear trigger fires the right barrel?

Are the trigger faces beveled for the left-hand? How about the top lever? Does it move to the left to open the action?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,
Depends on who makes the rifle. Chapuis will give you a left hand stock but the triggers remain "right handed".
Searcy will build you a lefty with the left trigger in front and they appear to be beveled to me. He will also design the top lever to your choosing. For some reason it seems normal for most lefty's to move the lever to the right with their left thumb.
Been told that Heym and VC will also build a "true" lefty but have never owned either so can't confirm. Hopefully some of the other lefty's who have more knowledge than me with doubles will chime in.
Randy

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Randy. I knew Butch made them that way because I could have ordered one a few years back (for $6500 at the time).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
For some reason it seems normal for most lefty's to move the lever to the right with their left thumb.Randy

How do RH'ers do it?
The way you described it seems to me to be about the only way (fastest/easiest)I could imagine doing it Confused

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, due to the habit of many lefties using sxs shotguns etc. over the years most lefties as myself, IF I had the option would not have a lt. handed break open lever. Triggers are usually bent for a lefty and as far as front trigger rt. barrel rear/lt barrel there is no good reason to change it, some say less felt recoil due to the dynamics of recoil, IMO not an issue.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Double-D
posted Hide Post
My left hand Searcy .500 has left hand triggers and the front trigger fires the left barrel and the back works the rite barrel. I like it and it works great. But I have shot doubles with rite hand triggers and I didnt find it to be an issue. Now that I have the Searcy it might be hard to go back though.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
George, for the record Heym will not build a "true" left hander. They will build a left hand stock and bend the right hand triggers for you. That's what I have - and like Dirk, I preferred the "right-handed" top lever.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just found out Chapuis will now build you a true left hand rifle as well.
For the UGEX add about $600 to the base price and you get proper triggers and a stock built to your measurement. Might be selling my UGEX soon to take advantage of this.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
My only double that is not a LH gun is my Chapuis. The only problem I see with having both is when reloading with an extractor gun. I tend to grab the left shell first since that is how most of my guns fire on the front trigger (LH Guns). The chapuis fires the Right barrel first....takes some getting used to. Doesn’t sound like much of a big deal but I think it could cause problems in the field if a fella was trying to reload quickly after the first shot. I try to practice enough to develop muscle memory....don’t want to think about how to reload...I want it to be natural. While I don’t think it is any better to have one barrel fire first VS the other, I do think it is a good idea to have all your rifles consistent.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote