Find
Notify
Tools

Game Ranches in the West
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted
I am looking for a game ranch to hunt in the Western US any idea other than Texas?

Thanks Aleko

[ 01-11-2003, 22:55: Message edited by: Heritage Arms ]

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heritage Arms: If you get in your vhicle and drive 410 miles north from Salt Lake on I-15 turn left and drive 119 miles west on I-90 then turn right Highway 93 for 45 miles you can Hunt Buffalo in Ronan, Montana. You can shoot a 4 year old cow Buffalo for $600.00! Lot of great meat and a heavy warm hide plus the skull looks nice bleached! 7 of my friends have harvested Buffalo from this ranch this year so far. Not really a "Hunt" more of a harvest! But the meat is great and the hair on hides are handsome this time of year and warm. About $375.00 to tan them with the hair on. $100.00 for the meat eating Beetles to clean the skull.
I think Hunting ranches with pay per kill Big Game animals (Elk & Deer) in Montana are as of this past year illegal and defunct!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, all "big game ranches" are outlawed in Montana. Put some good people out of business. As I read the posts and ads in Safari Club the former owners were saying that Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation spent a good sum to get it passed. The amount disclosed in the article was $50,000. The article was submitted by Charly Sealy, executive director Exotic Wildlife Association, in Texas.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the elimenation of game farms in the West would be one of the best things to happen to future hunting prospects. Montana should be proud of themselves. If the RMEF had anything to do with it, as you say, I'm grateful.

You don't hear much about the RMEF, but they are the only organization I'm aware of that actually does something for the future of wild game management. (Ducks Unlimited is another probably.)

The organizations formed just to make money off of selling hunting/shooting equipment, or "domesticating" wild game don't get my support.

I would like to read someday that New Mexico had followed Montana's example.

Texas is a lost cause; too little public land to support hunting. One plus to Texas-style hunting has been that game farms haven't done a particularly good job of keeping the game on the farms. That has enabled the average guy, like me, to hunt axis, sika and aoudad that have spread to nearby private land. (My brother said he saw his first axis on his place at Giddings. It had a yellow ear tag.)

I guess my main gripe has been the intra-state buying, selling, trading, moving of wild game between these game farms that benefit only a few self-interest groups, but help spread disease and infect wild game populations.

Whenever we try to make money by screwing mother nature, we have almost without exception screwed ourselves when we look back years later.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know of a few ranches in New Mexico that are working cattle ranches that also have elk and mule deer. If that is what your looking for here's the e-mail address for one of them in unit 13.

quiensaberanch@gilanet

Posts: 6 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 January 2003Reply With Quote