Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Mauritius?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted
Anyone hunted in Mauritius? I see that they have hunting safaris for deer (rusa?), wild boar, guinea fowl and hares but has anyone been there and done it and can make comment on it?

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I looked into it but heard bad things.

I would pursue this with a lot of caution.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of you who speak German, there is some information on this page: www.groenlandjagd.ch/Mauritius_D_Detail.htm.

For those of you don't, you can still enjoy the pictures... Drop Roger a mail (e-mail address on the webpage). He understands and writes English perfectly.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You could always try to get in touch with the man mentioned in either of the two links below:

http://www.fishingandhuntingsafaris.com/

http://www.tropicscope.com/clientdetails.asp?ID=641

I was in Mauritius about ten years ago and did ask about hunting. I was told (by tourist agents who weren't hunters) that is was: 1) too expensive, 2) the areas are quite small (smaller than a small South African ranch), 3) the people who were then outfitting in fact didn't want any "foreign" tourists, the local hunting elite were enough to manage the small ranch bred herds. This said, things may have changed.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is an article on this in the Shooting Gazette this month

Posts: 261 | Location: Invercargill | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a web search for Pointe de Chasseur - it is an old hunting ground owned by an Irishman named O'Reilley who has a Mauritian-Indian wife. There are others there as well, though Pointe de Chasseur is supposed to be the best operation.

If you need help, I could talk to a friend in Port Louis and ask him to put you in touch with this man.

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could always try to get in touch with the man mentioned in either of the two links below:

Wink, I have already sent him an email but haven't had a reply back, so far.

Mike, thanks, I've looked at the site and will follow it up.

I'll keep looking for info and will provide some feedback if I get any.

cheers,
Bob

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shared a camp with some French Mauritians in the Save Conservancy this past Oct. FWIW, they told me that the hunting wasn't that good and was expensive enough that they preferred an annual or biannual trip to the Save in lieu of hunting at home.

Really nice people, btw.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
There is one private hunting aera : "le domaine du chasseur" (hunter's estate)

There, You can hunt the Java deer on a 900 ha estate (2400 acres).
400 stags have to be shot each year.

The estate can provide all the necessary kit to hunt.

Pricing :
Young stag : 7000 rps = 230 $ ( 1000rps = 33$)
Big old stag 17000 rps = 560 $

Chasser le Cerf de Java

Le "Domaine du Chasseur", dans la partie sud-est de l'île, est le seul domaine privé à Maurice où les visiteurs peuvent chasser toute l'année contre le paiement d'une cotisation. Il s'étend sur 900 ha de pentes couvertes de forêts. La chasse permet d'y limiter le nombre d'animaux. Chaque année, il faut tuer près de 400 cerfs pour maintenir l'équilibre du cheptel.

Le Domaine fournit tout l'équipement indispensable et fera également le nécessaire pour qu'un éventuel trophée (la tête du cerf, par exemple) soit expédié à votre domicile après avoir été empaillé et monté (comptez 4.500 Rs environ). La chasse à l'approche est la plus pratiquée mais des petites battues sont quelques fois organisées. Les chasseurs sont accompagnés d'un professionnel. Les prix varient selon le type de cerf abattu de 7.000 Rs environ pour un daguet mâle d'un an à 17.000 Rs un gros cerf mâle de 4 ans.

Pour plus d'informations contacter le Domaine du Chasseur à Anse Jonchée au (230) 634.50.65 - Fax (230) 634.52.61

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote