New
Find
Notify
Tools

First deer with new rifle
 Login/Join

<pigman>
posted
Shot a nice 3 point today. I used my own reload in my Brownig High wall. Wanted to shoot the doe he was chaseing but she kept running and he stoped to look at me - bad mistake. The 350 grain round nose made an exit wound that was bigger than a 50 cent piece. I had gotton out of my stand and was fixin to head in it was about 10:00. I was checking out some tracks on the edge of an amquail hedge row when I heard them running throuh the woods behind me. I quickly kneeled down and the dow came through the hedge. She saw me and took off. The little buck came through looking for the dow and stopped. I put the bead on his shoulder and squeezed. He didn't even flinch. I thought that I had somehow missed. We are talking less than 40 yards. He ran off around the hedge and I went to check for blood. There was blood and hair everywhere. A blind man could have followed the blood trail. He ran about 30 yards and droped just out of sight from where I was standing. The old .45 -70 does the job. It was a perfect lung shot.All my previous deer have been killed with a .30-06. As usual I felt no recoil when shooting in the field. The load I am shooting is 51 grains of reloader 7 and a 350 grain Hornady round nose. This load is no fun off the bench but is extremly effective in the field. This was one of the most exciting deer hunts ever. Both deer would have come right under my stand had I still been in it. This will teach me to stay in the tree a little longer.