New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red stag in Mazuria - Poland
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I'm just back from Maskulinskie, Mazuria, NE of Poland, where I've stalked a nice stag; it was a 5 days hunt booked with Diana. The place is wonderful, a huge forest of coniferous at 90%; I could hear many stags roaring and saw a few, as well as some roe deers. My guide Piotr has been efficient, moreover he speaks a good French, quite unusual for a Polish. I shot the stag with my beloved Tikka 695 cal. 300WM and ammos that I reload; the bullet was a Nosler Part. PP 180 gr. V/0 about 860 m/s (2830 fps.); distance was 50/60 m. but not an easy shot, since the stag was walking quickly among the trees and I had to wait several endless seconds to find a gap, but fortunately it was broadside. The bullet hit the chest just behind the shoulder; the stag could run for about 30 m. then felt and died immediately. The exit hole diameter was about 2.5 cm and the internal damage was really reasonable. The trophy, certainly not huge, is nice anyway, and it's well in the price/weight range I wished. Accommodation and food were good and, altogether, I had a very good time.

Close to the stag, is Piotr, my guide, with his father and brother that came to carry it.

The hunting lodge

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice stag Mario! You are having a great season so far!

Was the stag alone or with hinds?

Is the rut just starting or in full swing?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually my name is Lorenzo. Mario is another member Wink
The stag was alone and the rut is currently in the best period

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry!!!

I am glad you managed to catch the peak of the rut, I am having trouble sitting still until October 5 when I get my turn at the stags...

Congratulations on the stag and a good shot too!

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice deer, looks like a good place to hunt!

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an interesting hunt. Any other photos?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boghossian, I don't want to be a bad omen for you, but Oct. 5 seems to me somewhat late, at least for the NE of Poland; last year I went to Bialowieza, on Oct. 02 for a 5 days stag hunt, the rut was already over and I couldn't shoot; actually it stopped on Sept. 29/30 according to the staff. Anyway I sincerly hope to be wrong!!!

Yukon delta, I have some other photos, but I fear that their quality is only average, and not worthy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree Lorenzo, but it well be a lot better than working!

I was only offered the trip on very short notice so it is the best I can do.

Hopefully the Czech stags will be co-operative!

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Italy, any good wishes about hunting means (and possibly leads to) the exact contrary Big Grin. So, I will wait for your report. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm Mario ... and I wasent so lucky of take a so nice stag. Congratulations. A really dark red stag.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To be really sincere, on the second day of hunt, I was 60/70 m. far from a huge stag, a +7 kg trophy, perfectly broadside; it was well centered in the crosshair, but I wouldn't shoot, because of the high price of such a beautiful trophy. I'm proud of that decision, since it will likely allow me to go back over there, next September.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Excellent trophy. Congratulations.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Ben fatto Lorenzo, complimenti. E` sempre una bella emozione, con il bramito poi e` una caccia da togliere il fiato.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

WAIDMANNSHEIL!

Thanks for sharing your success with us.

Your story speaks volumes of a Hunter with self-control. Glad you waited for your right "Beast" to come along. I know of cases where others go "Weak-in-the-Knees" at the sight of a monster Stag and end up with a LARGER invoice than their pocketbook can adequately accomodate.....

thumb

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for appreciating my posts! dancing

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Bravo e bene fatto!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great stag! Congrats from a USA hunter who hopes to take a stag one day!

Posts: 135 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Very nice stag, thanks for sharing.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would never pass a world record book class stag, even if i had to take a second mortgage !

some of these are only seen once in a lifetime

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I love the photo of the dog getting his/her taste of the prize!

Great job!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Great trophy !!!
thumb thumb thumb

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote