Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marajo Island- Brazil
 Login/Join

posted
Might someone know if there is buffalo hunting on Marajo Island these days?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Hi Nick !

As far as I know, all type of hunting is legally forbidden all around the amazonia areas ...only in the southern states of Brazil hunting is legally allowed and regulated ...

There is a brazilian AR member, named Reiter, that would probably tell you the exact siuation over there Wink

Let me know if I can help you somehow !

Best regards, my friend !

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Nick,
From what I know hunting in Brazil is completely banned with exeption of Rio Grande do Sul province bordering Uruguay and the hunt there is mostly birds and pigs. I have had some brazilian clients (see my post "Last weekend"), they told me they have been hunting sikha deer and VERY good waterbucks in a private farm in Santa Catarina province, just north of RG do Sul.

I know that waterbuffs are in big numbers in the northern states and some locals are puting some preassure to open their hunt for them (locals only) but it seems this will not happen soon...

I am sure Reiter will have better information than me.

Good luck
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick
If you ever find a hunt there, I will go with you.
Doug

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. I'll post here if I hear of anything. I'm told there are some monster buffalo there. Last guy I know who hunted there was Bert Klineberger.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Nick,
Just back (again) from hunting with other brazilian hunters. They told me that the brazilian chapter of SC has done some agreement with the goverment agency that controls wildlife (IBAMA or something similar) for allow buff hunting because they are in so big numbers that they are destroying everything. I'm not sure about this being truth but it's wothwile checking it.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lorenzo:
Nick,
Just back (again) from hunting with other brazilian hunters. They told me that the brazilian chapter of SC has done some agreement with the goverment agency that controls wildlife (IBAMA or something similar) for allow buff hunting because they are in so big numbers that they are destroying everything. I'm not sure about this being truth but it's wothwile checking it.

Lorenzo, the IBAMA began selecting hunters to cull the buffalo some nitwit turned loose north of the Pantanal. People applied, but IBAMA never issued the licenses. Some enterprising fellas are turning boars loose in Paraná. At their reproduction rate, we'll have exotics to hunt in a very short time. But again, a left wing administration to cope with.

Posts: 25 | Location: Brazil | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Axeman,
Thanks for the update!!
I am glad to hear than sooner or later you will be able to hunt up there. We all have to deal with these lefties Mad these people still thinks we live in the sixties !!

YANKEES GO HOME....and take me with you !! Big Grin

L

one of us
posted Hide Post
The water Eekerbuffs are slowly forming a very real menace: two nights ago whilst I was hunting hogs and walking in very dense brush I was followed by one of these beasts. My 375 felt very little in my hands, believe me. Luck was with me and it was not necessary to shoot it. But I´ll think twice in the future before entering a field with water buffaloes! Eeker

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you guys are right : there´s no way of legally hunt in Marajo island or amazonia, and yes again, SCI chapter in Brasil did an amazing job, with guides and some clients, and they hunt ( the apropriate word would be cull Cool) lots of water buffs.

It was at the state of Rondonia, far north of Brazil, west of Marajo Island, but pretty much the same enviroment.

In 1953, the local goverment introduced at about 70 Carabao Water buffalos that came from Marajo Island, trying to creato a kind of bussiness and gather people to live and create a comunity in the area. They build and airport ( very very small one), small houses, schools, and things like that, but it was no sucessfull, and almost nobody lived there.

With a great habitat and nobody to mess with them, the buff population grow into 15.000 !!

SCI worked with the local goverment and Ibama, and finally, in 2001, could take a limited hunt there.

Some PH´s and local guides where involved, and some clients too. At the end, they took 21 buffalos. They donated lots of meat to charity institutions and helped a lot the local population, with the money they made ou of the clients.

I cand send you some pictures of the buffalos taken, email me andrera@uai.com.br .

People who live in Marajo have lots of problems with the buff, they are very dangerous, they atack boats, overcrafts and even cars.

They hunt there for sure, but all illegaly.

I guess thath after 1978, when hunting seasons where closed in Brasil, and in 1988, when hunting was banned, this SCI hunt in Rondonia was the only native big game species hunt taken here.

Anything else, ask, If I could held, I´ll do my best.

Cheers.

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote