New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinois deer
 Login/Join

<XTARHEEL>
posted
After 35 years or so of deer hunting, I finally found the one I was looking for! Shot this one in west central Illinois. 24" spread, split brow tines making him a 12 poiner. I'd like to get him scored when he gets back from the taxidermist.

www.45throatdoctor.com/buck2.jpg

[ 12-05-2002, 02:28: Message edited by: XTARHEEL ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
You must produce the antlers on a skull plate to a qualified scorer after a 60 day drying period. If it is mounted they wll need to inspect that the antlers have not been altered in any way. I took my horns with me and after scoring brought the back to the Yaxidermist.
To get it scored it has to be dried for at least sixty day if I recall. Since you shot yours with a gun it needs to qualify by Boone and crockets standards which are quite high as a typical it needs to be net 180 inches of measurements. There are no deductions under non typical but those the qualiflying scores is in the mid 200's . Net score is measurements are taken for each side and any difference is deducted from the total, uneven racks take a beating.
In a ball park measurements would be as follows:
inside spread + beam lenght + lenght of each point + circumference at base + circumference between each tine. Any odd points will not count and basically when one side is compared to the other only smaller number is credited, ie: beam lenght 23 right side, 26 left side+ total 49 - variance 3= 46 final. If you think it will make it get in touch with Boone and Crocket and get the paperwork and the tel# of an official scorer in the area, I had mine score by a fellow who lived in South Holland Illinois . Hint keep the rack in water or damp,the buck I killed with a bow had an inside spread of 19 3/4" when I killed it and the official score at 60 days was 18 1/2", they do schrink.

[ 12-05-2002, 03:00: Message edited by: raamw ]

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Xtarheel,

What county did you shoot him in?

If anyone is hunting in Calhoun this weekend, give me a jingle and stop by for lunch!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<XTARHEEL>
posted
Hello MarkWhite: A friend farms over in Pike County. I go down there every year. There are some real nice animals in that part of the state. The one I shot two years ago was just a little smaller.

one of us
posted Hide Post
min.entry score for typical whitetail, B&C

awards program: 160" (net)

all-time book: 170" (net)

also, you might check into your state's awards program . . . in Texas (depending on region) min. entry scores ranging from 125-140 for typicals - your state might also have a similar program. info probably on your state G&F website.

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boone & Crockett Club Homepage

above is a link to the B&C homepage. score sheets, entry scores, etc. they also have a nice selection of "field photos"

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
XTARHEEL,
Something doesn't work, I can't see the picture.
But...forget the tape, just lay down with a glass of whisky infront of your trophy and enjoy it, sorry, enjoy THEM [Big Grin]
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
It takes one fine symetrical rack to make it into the B+C club. The rack must have long tines, the main beam must have great mass to reach 180" or more when scored. The world record B+C typical rack at this time is a fantastic twelve point buck taken by Milo Hanson from Canada. Milo took his record buck near Biggar Sasketchewan Canada. The final dry score of the Hanson buck is 213 5/8" with over 7" of deductions.

If your bucks rack is symetrical with heavy mass and long tines you may make the books. It takes one fantasic rack to hit 200" of antler growth. You can rough measure the rack yourself and get a good idea what you have. If the rack has close to 100" per side your in.

Any sticker points not matching on each side must be deducted. Both sides of the rack must be symetrical,,any tine length longer on one side must be deducted from the matching shorter tine on the other side of the rack. Since it has double brow tines I am not certain how you score them. I believe the main brow tine is scored and the branched tine deducted. The more symetrical the rack, the better it will score. Every measurement must be put in 1/8" increments, Example: in the score any tine 12 1/2" long must be written 12 4/8". Also if the widest inside spread of the rack is more than the length of either main beam that measurement difference must be deducted from the final score. Most record book racks have main beam lengths around 26" to 30" measured on the outside curve of the main beam. In most cases a narrow high long tined rack will score more than a wide rack. In many cases very impressive racks score lower because of the number of deductions from side to side symetry. Non-Typical racks get full credit for all inches of antler growth but the entry score is much higher.

The Jordan bucks rack was only 19" wide but scored 206" because of it's symetry and heavy mass, and only had 3" of deductions. not to mention it was as only a ten point buck. The Jordan buck held the number #1 world record typical spot for over 80 years.

It is best to use a long heavy string to measure the rack then use your tape measure to measure the string on the flat. Take an imaginary line along the main beam where each tine come out of that main beam. You can print out an official measurement sheet on the B+C clubs web site.