Find
Notify
Tools

Finally broke in my .45-70!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Well.....I finally broke in my Marlin Model 1895 CB .45-70 this evening! I got this old doe at 5:30 p.m. I aged her at 7 years old, judging by her tooth wear. She's the biggest doe I've personally ever shot or seen up close. She's around 150 lbs. and I think she was a pretty good doe to take out of the herd.

Here are a couple pictures. The bullet hole you can see in the picture is the entry wound. I shot her quartering away at about 40 yards and the bullet exited through the center of her right shoulder. I was using 325 gr. Hornady LeverEvolution ammo. She ran about 50 yards and there was a nice blood trail to follow. I hope y'all enjoy the pictures.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Happiness is a warm 45-70 !! clap dancing

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Well.....I finally broke in my Marlin Model 1895 CB .45-70 this evening! I got this old doe at 5:30 p.m. I aged her at 7 years old, judging by her tooth wear. She's the biggest doe I've personally ever shot or seen up close. She's around 150 lbs. and I think she was a pretty good doe to take out of the herd.

Here are a couple pictures. The bullet hole you can see in the picture is the entry wound. I shot her quartering away at about 40 yards and the bullet exited through the center of her right shoulder. I was using 325 gr. Hornady LeverEvolution ammo. She ran about 50 yards and there was a nice blood trail to follow. I hope y'all enjoy the pictures.

The local gunstore always gives away a gun for the biggest doe and buck in their contest. The does that win are never that big. A lot of the bucks around here don't weigh 150 lol..

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Well damn.....unfortunately, she's already in the ice chest. I'll have to see if there's any kind of deer contests close by, for the next deer I shoot. I sort of doubt it, because we're awful close to the city.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Good on ya. One of my very favorite rifles. And that doe will provide you with truly excellent fare. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done pictures. I don't put enough effort into my kill photos, and they look pretty bad.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
grats on the 45-70 kill iv been contemplating a cheap truck gun and think a marlin gg will suit that job to a T.... not completely shure yet.

150 isnt bad i guess depending where ya are....

whre i come from thats still a yearling.....

we got wight tails does that push the 180-200 mark up here in northen alberta and the buck i shot 2 weeks ago went 266 pounds

and the mule deer i shot the next day was up to a full 305lbs but this deer has been constanly feeding on the canola and corn grown up here.

but most mulies up here push the 300# mark pretty easy and have personaly seen mulies even bigger but thats just northern genetics.

if your interested im might be inclined to trade ya a mule deer/wight tail alberta hunt for sum hogs i love shooting hogs

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To hunt does and fawns as we do here, too for population management can be as much fun as going only after the bucks.

Once on the table, no difference at all can be noticed anymore. As an additional benefit, it saves you money to hunt more.

Important with those old ladies is to age the meat well. Then it gets as tender as the young ones, maintaing, I find, still a different taste and texture.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote